New York Parking Ticket LLC (that’s us) represents a large commercial construction company, who amassed a huge truckload full of NYC parking tickets. Dan appeared in person, rather than fight the parking tickets by mail, because:
- We wanted to be sitting next to the commercial parking ticket judge in case any questions arose where we could clarify the issue or evidence, and participate in the debate
- You are assigned one judge in one courtroom to hear all of your parking ticket cases when you request an in-person hearing in the commercial parking ticket unit
- You can learn a great deal about the thinking of the judges, and their interpretation of various aspects of the parking laws and rules which will be very helpful to your clients in the future
Postman bites dog
Now that’s news. Likewise, when you run into a judge who “wrongs a right,” is rude, arbitrary, or rushes to judgment, that is news; despite the fact this type of judge is in the minority. It has been our experience that most judges want to do the right thing; and not make NEWS.
The entire process of scheduling a hearing, starting on time, interacting with the judge assigned to our cases; joining in conversations with other judges on difficult issues; reviewing the evidence, and discussing the applicable technical and substantive rules was conducted with civility and the highest level of professionalism.
I guess that’s the way it is supposed to be; but today it is going to be acknowledged as news; GOOD NEWS!
…and justice for all
We beat the parking tickets we were supposed to beat because Dan was incredibly well prepared, knew the law and presented the proper proof, properly. AND, the judge did what he was supposed to do, i.e. render a just decision consistent with the law. The system worked because the participants worked within the system.
Time spent per parking ticket was not an issue, and righting a wrong was the outcome. When the judge had a question about the applicability of a certain permit, he called in several judges to discuss the issue with our participation.
The moral of this story
When you’re right-FIGHT, but make sure you present the proper proof, properly…It works. Present your case from the brain, not the tush. Make sure you match the rule you are charged with violating to the defense to the rule. BE PREPARED.
It was a pleasure being with a judge who did not make the news.
Let’s declare today the no news day. Do you have some stories to share where the NYC parking ticket system treated you right? Your experiences matter to all of us!
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- NYC Parking Laws All Drivers Ought to Know About - February 20, 2018
- NYC Fire Hydrant Hiding in an Unconventional Location - February 12, 2018
- Parking Tickets Christmas Gifts from the Evil Empire in January 2018 - January 31, 2018