Frequently Asked Question on Parking Tickets
Blizzard of 2015
Will NY Renew Registrations with Unpaid Parking Tickets?
NY DMV will not renew registrations with unpaid parking ticketsThe NY DMV will not renew registrations belonging to scofflaws who accumulate 3 unpaid parking tickets in judgment during any 18 month period.
Will NY Suspend Registrations for Unpaid Parking Tickets?
NY DMV will suspend registrations for unpaid parking tickets in judgmentThe law is:
- 5 unpaid parking tickets in judgment during any 12 month period will result in a registration suspension.
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday is a legal parking holiday in NYCMartin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday is a legal parking holiday, not a major legal parking holiday in NYC. Alternate side parking rules are suspended, but you are required to feed the meters and obey all parking signs. Remember, when you wake up you don't have to move your car. But, when you drive away, you have to obey all parking signs and pay the muni meters. Park safely.
Can I park safely with an expired registration?
Can I park my car on the street with an expired registration?No, no, 1000 times no! I've received many questions about what to do if a driver hasn't received his new registration in the mail, and the old one expired. Here's a great solution:
DMV Offers Online Temporary Vehicle Registrations
According to the news release: Although most registrations are renewed through the mail, at an office or online in time to receive a new registration sticker before the old one expired, many times customers either forget about or wait too long before renewing their registrations. In that case, their only option in the past has been to visit a DMV office to register the vehicle. This new service provides customers with a proof of registration that they can display while waiting for their new registration to arrive by mail. The temporary registration is available through the DMV Web site (www.dmv.ny.gov). It is available for most vehicle registration classes including boats, trailers and ATVs. There is no additional charge for the temporary document. After printing the temporary document, customers must display the temporary registration on the driver’s side of the vehicle’s dashboard in addition to the expiring registration sticker until their new sticker arrives. The temporary registration is valid for 10 days from the date the renewal transaction is completed. After the temporary registration expires, the registrants can only operate the vehicle if it displays a valid registration sticker. For vehicles that do not have windshields and dashboards such as motorcycles and trailers, the motorist will be instructed to carry the temp when operating the vehicle."
Is New Year's Day a Parking Holiday in New York City?
New Year's Day is a parking holiday in New York CityNew Year's Day is a parking holiday in New York City. And, it's a major legal parking holiday. On major legal parking holidays, the Evil Empire allows us to:
- Ignore muni meters (you don't have to feed 'em)
- Ignore parking signs (except parking signs where the parking rule is in effect all days, all times, or anytime)
- Ignore street cleaning rules
Is New Year's Eve a Parking Holiday in NYC?
New Year's Eve is not a parking holiday in NYCWish it t'were true, but I'm sad to say that New Years's Eve is not a parking holiday in NYC. You are required:
- Pay the muni meters
- Obey all parking signs
- Dance the Street Cleaner Polka
What's the Difference between Notice of Permanent and Temporary Parking Sign Changes?
Is notice of permanent and temporary parking sign changes required?The NYC Department of Finance or NYC Department of Transportation is...
- N0t required to inform the public of temporary parking sign changes
- Required to notify the public of a permanent parking sign changes
- The DOT publishes the changes on their website. Here is a link: Parking Sign Update
What is a Safety Zone?
NYC's Mystical Safety ZoneThis is tough because the DOT does not clearly define what is a safety zone. Here is the definition we the public are given:
- Safety zone. The area or space officially set apart within a roadway for the exclusive use of pedestrians and which is protected or is so marked or indicated by adequate signs as to be plainly visible at all times while set apart as a safety zone.
Can I argue my way out of a ticket with a parking ticket warrior?
The Eternal BattleArguing with a parking ticket warrior is futile. If you think you've received a parking ticket in error take these steps:
- Calmly accept the ticket
- Make mental or physical note of why ticket was received in error
- Take picture to support your defense
- Check the front of your ticket for any possible defects
What are some common NYC parking ticket mistakes?
If you were never tought, then you'll never know...There are many common mistakes the general public makes when dealing with NYC parking tickets. Some of those mistakes are as follows:
- The car matters, you do not
- Commercial vehicles may not park within 15ft of a fire hydrant
- A passenger vehicle may park within 15 ft of a fire hydrant, under certain guidlines
- A bus stop is a no stading zone - ALWAYS
- Paying your parking ticket without educating yourself first on your ability to appeal.
What are the parking rules on major legal holidays?
Major Legal Holidays provide a parking respite in NYCOn major legal holidays the parking rules and regulations in NYC are altered. The rules for these days are as follows:
- All Parking Signs are void unless sign states "All days & All times".
- Meters DO NOT need to be paid
- Street cleaning rules are suspended
Are parking rules and regulations in effect on Veterans Day?
Vetarans Day is a Legal Holiday & the Rules Are...The parking rules are modified for Legal Holidays in NYC. These modified rules are:
- Street cleaning rules are suspended
- You must still feed the meters
- You must obey all parking signs
Must I always display Muni Meter Receipt?
Muni Meter Receipts - Ticket Saving DevicesThere is an simple answer to this question...YES!
- If you parked in a spot with a muni meter, you must always display payment receipt on your dashboard
- If you paid for the time, but forgot to display the muni meter receipt, you can fight and win by submitting a copy of the receipt to Evil Empire with a defense letter, and your ticket will be dismissed (It's the law!)
Can I ever park in front of a driveway?
"The driveway hasn't been used in years, but I still got ticketed!"There are rules when it comes to parking in front of a driveway, and there only two instances where it's legal to park in front of a driveway in NYC, these are:
- If you are the owner, lessor or lessee of the lot accessed by the driveway, and the property does not contain more than two dwelling units. The parking may not violate any other provisions of the vehicle and traffic law or local law or rule concerning the parking, stopping or standing of motor vehicles.
- If the driveway has been rendered unusable due to the presence of a building or other fixed obstruction.
How do I prove my Innocence?
What are my tools to fight the Evil EmpireThere are different ways to fight NYC parking tickets and different tools for different tickets. Our recomendation is to do your research, via the Internet (or the website), and see what you can come up with. To help, here is a list of some of the tools to fight NYC parking tickets.
- Have a camera handy; most cell phones today have cameras on them. If you believe you've been unjustly ticketed, take pictures that you'll need to prepare your defense. Build a case while you're at the parking space!
- Keep all muni meter receipts.
- When you're right, fight!
- Be knowledgable. Stay current on all NYC parking regulations. New York Parking Ticket LLC. prides itself on being a source of parking ticket knowledge.
What is blocking the box?
Where is this box and why can't I block it?
- "The Box" refers to the square shape created by a four way intersection
- A law against entering and staying in this box area was originally created in order to help the flow of traffic. Upon it's inception, it was only a moving violation, which meant points on your license as well as insurance consequences.
- This law has since changed and gained dual status (both parking ticket and traffic ticket).
- All parking ticket warriors are now able to write a ticket for this violation, putting drivers at more of a risk of getting ticketed.
A parking sign without arrows?
A Parking Sign without arrows means both directions
- Keep in mind that a parking sign without arrows means that rule regulates the curb space in both directions until the next parking sign, or if none, the end of the block
October 16th and 17th are Legal Parking Holidays
The next legal parking holidays in October 2014The next legal parking holidays when ASP parking rules are suspended are:
- Shemini Atzereth falls on October 16, 2014 (Thursday)
- Simchas Torah falls on October 17, 2014 (Friday)
Is Labor Day a Parking Holiday in NYC?
- Don't have to obey street cleaning rules
- Don't have to pay for on-street parking
- Don't have to obey parking signs, unless the rule displayed on the sign is in effect all times, all days, or says, "anytime"
I need help finding monthly parking
Here's a special recommendation to help you find monthly parkingA wonderful friend and business colleague of ours is the go-to expert on finding the biggest bang for your monthly parking bucks. Pay a visit to Margot Tohn's website, Park it NYC, for valuable information at monthly parking, E-Z pass, and all things related to parking. You'll be glad you did!
Do you Fight Traffic Tickets?
New York Parking Ticket doesn't fight traffic ticketsMany of our friends need help with traffic tickets. We totally and without reservation recommend our great friend and business colleague:
Matthew Weiss, Esquire. Click on this link for Matt's contact information.
Matt has dedicated his law practice for the past 20 years to making traffic tickets easy for you and I. If you need help with a traffic ticket, call Matt today (212-683-7373 X12). You'll be glad you did.
Any interesting blogs to recommend?
There are many interesting blogs to recommendHere's one: "Urban Residue." The author writes open underdeveloped and leftover spaces in NYC. Commentary on parking challenges, pedestrian issues, and much more. Totally worth a gander.
What are the Tow Fees?
The tow fees in NYC can cost a bunch of moneyThe towing fees are:
- Regular Tow fee: $185.00
- Heavy Duty Tow fee: $370.00
- Overnight Storage fee: $20.00
- Immobilization Devise (Boot): $159.00
- Certified Check – payable to NYC Police Department
- ATM Bank Debit Card that allows withdrawals from checking accounts only (e.g. NYC, MAC, etc.)
- Money Order or Traveler’s checks(all parts must be presented)
- Discover, American Express, MasterCard, Visa
Can you provide a link to the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Laws?
Here's a link to the NYS Vehicle and Traffic LawsRemember NYC follows its own traffic laws and rules first, second, and third (Home Rule). NYS Vehicle and Traffic Laws come in a distance fourth.
What case affirms that All NYC is a Tow-Away Zone?
COHEN v. CITY OF NEW YORK affirms all NYC is a tow-away zone, no notice requiredCohen v. City of New York provides us with an excellent summary of the laws providing all NYC is a tow -away zone. It is a 1972 case. The citation is Cohen v. City of New York, 69 Misc.2d.189 (1972). Civil Court of the City of New York, New York County. Read it and weep (I know I did).
Is July 4th a parking holiday in NYC?
July 4th is a parking holiday in NYCYea! This means:
- You don't have to feed the muni meters
- You are not required to obey parking signs, UNLESS, the rule is in effect all days/all times, or anytime
- Street cleaning rules are suspended
Can I put a "For Sale" Sign on my Car?
Can I put a "For Sale" sign on my car while it's parked on a NYC street?Yes, as long as you are not in the regular business of selling cars. Here are the rules:
(n) Special restrictions on parking.
(1) Parking for sales purposes prohibited.
No person regularly engaged in the sale of vehicles shall park a vehicle upon any roadway or off-street parking facility for the principal purpose of displaying such vehicle for sale.
(2) Parking for certain purposes prohibited.
No person regularly engaged in the repair of vehicles shall park a vehicle upon any roadway or off- street parking facility for the principal purpose of washing, greasing, or repairing such vehicle, except repairs necessitated by an emergency.
(3) Parking for the purposes of commercial advertising prohibited.
No person shall stand or park a vehicle on any street or roadway for the purpose of commercial advertising, as defined in §4-12(j)(1) of these rules, except as otherwise provided in that section.
Does NYC Honor Out-of-State Disability Parking Permits?
NYC does not honor out-of-state disability parking permitsSo beware! However, residents from other states can apply for a NYC parking permit for people with disabilities. Here's more details about NY State and NYC disability parking permits,
NYC Parking Permit for People with Disabilities
Are non residents of NYC eligible?Both city residents and non-City residents are eligible for a NYC parking permit for people with disabilities. To be eligible to receive a City Parking Permit for People with Disabilities, the following requirements must be met:
- You must require the use of a private vehicle for transportation.
- You must have a severe, permanent disability that impairs mobility as certified by your personal physician and a New York City physician designated by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH).
Does NYC Honor the NY State Disability Parking Permit?
NYC honors NY State Disability Parking Permit, BUT...New York City only allows people with the NY State Disability Parking Permit to park off-street, such as in parking lots for malls, office buildings or college campuses.
Where is the summons number on a NYC parking ticket?
Doctor and Dentist NYC Parking Rule
Doctor and dentists NYC parking rule"Where parking is prohibited by signs, but not where stopping or standing is prohibited, a duly licensed physician or dentist may park his/her motor vehicle, identified by "MD," "OP" or "DDS" New York registration plates, on a roadway adjacent to hospitals or clinics for a period not to exceed three hours. For the purposes of this paragraph, only those portions of a roadway corresponding to the shaded areas on the diagrams below shall be considered adjacent to a hospital or clinic. At other locations where parking is prohibited by signs, but not where stopping or standing is prohibited, a duly licensed physician may park his/her motor vehicle, identified by "MD" or "OP" New York registration plates, for a period not to exceed one hour while actually attending to a patient in the immediate vicinity." [See 4-08(m)(4)]. The shaded areas in the diagram below represent legal parking spaces.
Do you have to feed the meters on Sundays?
Sunday parking rules in NYCYou don't have to feed the meters on Sundays in NYC...We're rich!
How much time do I have to appeal a guilty verdict?
You can appeal a guilty verdict for your NYC parking ticketYou have 30 days from the date the judge's decision was entered (not the date you receive the decision) to appeal. Keep in mind that your burden of proof on appeal is different than your first bite at the parking ticket apple. On appeal you must persuade an appeals panel that the original judge made a mistake of law or fact. You are not permitted to submit new evidence. Your appeal must be based upon the evidence you submitted for the original hearing. Here's a link to a helpful blog post that will fill you in on how to appeal a NYC parking ticket.
What's the story with bus lanes?
Bus lanes present a challenge to the NYC driving publicA driver is permitted to enter a bus lane to make the next right hand turn. Not the second right hand turn...The first right hand turn after entering an active bus lane. Remember, you're on candid camera. Here's a link to a blog post that will provide you with some more helpful information.
How do I remove the "boot" from my car?
The "boot" has become the choice du jour to immobilize your chariot for unpaid parking ticketsHere's how you remove that infernal device:
To get the boot off, call the toll-free phone number on the boot notice (877-207-2134) to pay all of your outstanding judgment debt, plus the additional fees listed below. You can pay over the phone with your debit/credit card or an electronic check. We also accept cash, money orders or cashier's checks at our Business Centers. After you pay what you owe, you will receive a release code immediately. When you enter the code, the boot will unlock and you can remove it. You need to return the boot to a return location near you within 24 hours to avoid a late fee of $25.00 per day." Fees There is a $159 fee for the boot and a $70 Sheriff’s execution fee as well as a poundage fee (5% of all fines including penalties and interest). If you do not pay the parking, red light camera and bus lane violation judgment debt and related fees within two business days of being booted, then your vehicle may be towed. The total amount that you must pay to get your vehicle back can be calculated using the chart on the Redeem a Towed Vehicle page.
How much money does the NYC Department of Finance Collect for Street Cleaning Parking Tickets?
Can I find my NYC parking ticket online?
- Clicking this link
- Clicking on the first "go" button on the green page (next to "parking/camera violations")
- Inserting your plate number, plate type, and state or registry; or your 10-digit violation code
- Clicking on "search"
What is a major legal parking holiday in NYC?
- Street cleaning rules are suspended
- You don't have to feed the meters
- You don't have to obey parking signs, unless the rule on the sign is in effect all days/all times, or anytime
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Is Christmas eve a parking holiday in NYC?
What are invisible no standing zones?
Invisible no standing zones do not have parking signs to alert a member. For example:
- Double parking (minority opinion…and mine)
- Bus lanes
- Railroad crossings
- Safety zones
- Pedestrian ramps
Can you name the twelve no stopping zones in NYC?
- Traffic lanes
- Cross walks
- Street excavations
- Tunnels and elevated roadways
- Divided highways
- Bicycle lanes
- Restricted use and limited use streets
- Major roadways
- Obstructing traffic at intersections
Can you explain the "Park Smart" parking meter program
What are the on-street parking rates in NYC
How much NYC parking ticket revenue was generated from alternate-side parking violations?
Is there a NYC Gov. Resource you recommend
Can you show me a picture of a legal vs. illegal pedestrian ramp
Can I park in front of a pedestrian ramp in NYC?
- Marked crosswalks
- Traffic signs
- Traffic devices
Can I ever park in a NYC school zone?
Can I double park in a NYC school zone?
What if I lose my NYC parking ticket hearing and my appeal?
What if I lose my NYC parking ticket hearing?
Did the original parking ticket judge make a mistake of law or fact?
There wasn't any sign saying "tow away zone"
What if I get two NYC parking tickets and my car is towed?
Will I get a refund of my towing fees, if I beat my parking ticket?
Is the expiration date on my registration a required element for out-of-state vehicles?
Are my vehicle's VIN # and color required elements?
Can I beat a parking ticket if a new parking sign was just installed?
Can 2 different parking signs on the same pole regulate the same parking spaces?
Where would I find the NYC Highway and Traffic Rules?
The NYC Highway and Traffic RulesSimply click on this link and voila!. Pay particular attention to the Definitions section, and 4-08. These rules were promulgated by the Commissioner of the NYC Department of Transportation for regulating the stopping, standing, and parking of vehicles in New York City.
Where can I find information about Alternate Side Parking?
NYC DOT Alternate Side Parking RulesHere's a link to the alternate side parking page of the NYC DOT website. It has real time street cleaning suspension information and more...
Are there rules that govern parking ticket hearings?
NYC DOF Rules governing the Parking Violations BureauYup. Chapter 39 of title 19 of the Official Compilation of Rules of the City of New York. Chapter 39 was adopted by theCommissioner of Finance to prescribe the internal procedures and organization of the Parking Violations Bureau, the manner and time of entering pleas, the conduct of hearings, the amount and manner of payment of penalties, and other purposes of article two-B of the Vehicle and Traffic Law.
A Link to the NYC Department of Transportation website
The NYC Department of Transportation websiteHere's a link to the parking ticket section of the NYC Department of Transportation website.
The NYC Department of Finance Website
The NYC Department of Finance website provides valuable information to the driving publicClick on this link to be whisked away to the Evil Empire's website.
Where can I find the NY State Vehicle and Traffic Laws?
The NY State Vehicle and Traffic LawsHere-ya-go. NY Vehicle and Traffic Laws ("VTL") Article 2B ...Click away.
Can I park within 15 feet of a fire hydrant?
Will I find a yellow painted curb to indicate 15 feet from a fire hydrant?
How far can I park from a fire hydrant?
What' s the defense to a bus stop parking ticket?
You are permitted to stop temporarily, and expeditiously drop off or pick-up people but not property, and skedaddle in a bus stop zone...as long as you do not interfere with a bus entering or leaving a bus stop zone. Best advice- Stay away from NYC bus stop zones. It's an ambush
Does a yellow painted curb indicate a bus stop zone?
Yellow painted curbs have no meaning in NYCNo. The only thing a yellow curb means in parking ticket land is...someone spilled a can of yellow paint.
How long is a bus stop zone?
How long is a bus stop zone in NYC?I dare you...double dare you to solve the mystery of the New York City bus stop zone any place else in the universe, except right here. A bus stop starts at the bus stop sign and extends in the direction of the arrow(s) until the next parking sign- if none, then the end of the block. The length varies from block to block. Please try your best to avoid a bus stop zone. It's a $115 parking ticket waiting to happen, and it's difficult to beat.
I'm standing not parking, If I'm sitting behind the wheel with the motor running, right?
Sitting behind the wheel with the motor runningNo, no, a thousand times no. The NY minute you halt your vehicle, you are stopping, standing, and parking. How's that for a mouthful. The viva la difference between stopping, standing, and parking is ONLY the activity you can perform in a no stopping, no standing, and no parking zone. In a no standing zone, you can stop, drop or pick-up people, and skedaddle. In a no parking zone, you can stop, drop and pick-up people and their property.
Standing and Parking are the same, right?
Standing and parking are not the sameWrong. Viva la difference! Standing means stopping your vehicle, other than picking- up or discharging a passenger to the curb. Parking means standing your vehicle, other than picking-up or discharging people and their stuff to the curb. In a no standing zone, you're permitted to stop temporarily, drop-off or pick-up passengers to the curb, and leave immediately. In a no parking zone, you are permitted to drop-off and pick up passengers and their property to the curb, and skedaddle. No waiting for your Aunt Tilly to cross the street.
Can I beat a parking ticket for failure to display muni meter receipt?
Muni meter parking rulesYes. A parking ticket judge is required to dismiss a parking ticket for failure to display muni meter receipt, if you submit a copy of the muni meter receipt showing you paid for the time within 5 minutes of the time your ticket was issued. Nice, rule!
Does a 5 MInute Grace Period apply to Muni-Meters?
Does the 5 Minute Grace Period apply to Alternate Side Parking Rules?
Does the 5 minute grace period apply to alternate side parking rules in NYC.A parking ticket warrior is prohibited from issuing a parking ticket until 5 minutes after the beginning of street cleaning. For example, if street cleaning is from 9A-10:30A, a warrior can't issue a parking ticket until 9:06A.
Is there a 5 Minute Grace Period?
100 days after parking ticket issued
How many days to submit a defense to a parking ticket?
What days are the penalties added to a parking ticket?
Penalties added to a parking ticket as follows:
- $10 on the 31st day
- $20 on the 61th day
- $30 on the 81th day
Can you name the 12 No Stopping Zones in NYC?
- Traffic lanes
- Street excavations
- Elevated roadways
- Divided highways
- Bicycle lanes
- Restricted use and limited use streets
- Major roadways