A Bill to Reduce NYC parking tickets
A Bill has been introduced by several City Council members that create a five-minute grace period before drivers are issued summons. The Bill applies to expired meters and alternate-side parking rules.
Councilman Simcha Felder, a Brooklyn Democrat who sponsored the legislation said, “When people park, they shouldn’t have to feel that there are vultures, certain agents, waiting to give them a ticket the moment they are in violation”. Let’s have a round of applause for Councilman Felder.
The NY Times article addresses some very important issues:
1. Is Mayor Bloomberg ordering stricter enforcement of parking regulations when the city finds itself strapped for cash?
2. Do the traffic agents use their own good judgment and discretion when issuing parking ticket?
Here are some numbers:
1. 276,000 drivers received tickets for violating alternate-side parking rules within 5 minutes of the rules’ going into effect.
2. 28,000 were written at the exact moment the rules took effect
3. The number of parking summons issued citywide has increased by 42% since Mayor Bloomberg took office
4. Over the last fiscal year, the city collected $620M in parking fines
5. During the 2003 fiscal year, the city collected $429M in fines
Here’re 2 other parking-related measures enacted in recent months:
1. Alternate side of the street parking rules is temporarily suspended during snowstorms
2. Driver’s are now permitted to park at a missing or broken meter for as much time as they would be allowed to park if the meter were operational
A small step for man….
What do you think about the efforts of the NY City Council to curb the abuse of parking ticket enforcement?
Or, is this another reason to fight your New York City parking tickets?
Your opinion matters!
Our thanks to the NY Times for their ongoing coverage of parking ticket issues.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Shocking How a Parking Rule Blunder Cost the Evil Empire Millions - November 20, 2017
- Time for Another 5-Question Parking Ticket Quickie Quiz - November 13, 2017
- Gotten a Bogus NYC Parking Ticket Lately? Read This - November 8, 2017