Transportation alternative advocates cry foul!
I am an advocate for the NYC driving public. A 100%, true-blue, dyed in the polyester, parking ticket fighter. In today’s urban landscape, there are many transportation alternative true believers advocating for the elimination of motor vehicle traffic in our fair city. A frequent target of these parking space terminators is “street parking.”
Here are just some of the complaints:
- Parking is too cheap
- There is too much space devoted to parking
- It is the lowest possible use for urban space
- Free/cheap parking promotes overuse of a motor vehicle
- Free/cheap parking escalates congestion
- Free/cheap parking is a secret subsidy for cars
- Bad for the environment
Fanciful view of the numbers
Our on-street parking terminators offer an interesting formula for computing the cost of each parking space in NYC. The result-$15,000 per parking space.
This must be the gross cost per space, because there is no mention of the revenue generated by parking tickets of approximately $600M per year.
These parking space Che Guevara’s recommend the creation of huge bicycle racks in lieu of parking for motor vehicles; or the insertion of some nice green astro turf for all of us to bring our beach chairs, and share a kumbala moment with our fellow city dwellers a few feet away from our favorite roadway.
Here is a very well produced, biased, video promoting the Che’s message. Do you agree with any of their complaints or proposals? Please share your opinion. Your opinion matters!
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Announcing Parking Ticket Legislation on the Agenda for 2018 - December 11, 2017
- Larry’s 5-Best Parking Ticket Tips to Learn and Remember - December 8, 2017
- Shocking How a Parking Rule Blunder Cost the Evil Empire Millions - November 20, 2017