10 parking ticket tips that will save you shekels, peso’s, krone’s, and dollars!
Tips are bite sized bits of information that are easily digestible and save you money beating NYC parking tickets. Here’s Larry’s Top 10 digestible tips…
- You are not permitted to sit in your car waiting for a soon-to-be passenger to finish an errand in the store, even if you keep your motor running, in a no parking or no standing zone
- Every inch of NYC is a tow-away zone. No signs or notice of any kind required
- The difference between a legal and major legal holiday is that on a legal holiday, the only benefit bestowed on the driving public is the suspension of street cleaning rules. You still have to feed the meters and obey all parking signs
- On major legal holidays stopping, standing, and parking are permitted, except in areas where stopping, standing, and parking rules are in effect seven days per week (for example, No Standing Anytime). Street cleaning rules are suspended, and parking meters are not in effect on major legal holidays
- Major legal holidays are: New Years Day, Memorial Day/Shavuot, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas
5 more parking ticket tips
- Your chariot may be booted rather than towed in certain parts of NYC
- The exception to the fire hydrant rule only applies to passenger vehicles between sunrise and sunset
- It is still risky to park within 15 feet of a fire hydrant even if you can prove it was inoperable. You will be issued a parking ticket by a warrior, and many judges will find you guilty.
- You are permitted to park/block a pedestrian ramp (curb cut) if it is located mid-block, without a marked crosswalk, and without traffic control devices or traffic signs regulating traffic
- You cannot stop temporarily to answer your cell phone in a no stopping, no standing, and no parking zones
A few of bonus parking ticket tips
- NYC buses are NOT equipped (yet) with cameras to take pictures of illegally parked cars. The cameras installed on a NYC bus are for security purposes
- You can enter an active bus lane to make the next right hand turn
- Read Larry’s Blog because Larry’s a good guy (Believe me, I tried to keep MOM from adding this bonus tip)
There are 99 parking violation codes, 25 pages of parking regulations contained in 34 NYC Highway and Traffic Rules Sections 4-01 & 4-08, and a gazillion parking laws scattered about in the NYC Administrative Code. It is my mission to empower you with the knowledge of the essential regulations and laws to allow you to navigate the mean streets of NYC while keeping your hard earned dough where it belongs…In your wallet.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Announcing Parking Ticket Legislation on the Agenda for 2018 - December 11, 2017
- Larry’s 5-Best Parking Ticket Tips to Learn and Remember - December 8, 2017
- Shocking How a Parking Rule Blunder Cost the Evil Empire Millions - November 20, 2017