The meaning of no standing
A parking ticket warrior will have a difficult time separating you from your hard-earned dough if you understand the meaning of the 3 No’s, No Stopping-No Standing-No Parking
In this post, we direct our attention to the second NO, “No Standing.” As defined in Section 4-01 of Chapter 4 of Title 34 of the Rules of the City of New York:
- The stopping of a vehicle
- Whether occupied or not
- Otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers.”
Read the definition (Found on page 4)
Let’s analyze the term:
(1) The stopping of a vehicle. Stopping is any halting, even momentarily of your vehicle. You can expect to feel the sting of a warrior’s scanner if you feel a sneeze coming on, and pull to the curb in a No Standing zone. The price of safety is $115 for the cost of a parking ticket. How about, “I pulled to the curb in a No Standing zone to answer my cell phone.” The price of safety, and to avoid a traffic ticket for talking on your cell phone, is a $115 NYC parking ticket.
(2) Whether occupied or not. If you pull your vehicle to the curb in a No Standing zone to run into the store for “just two minutes,” I promise you will find that dreaded orange envelope under the windshield wiper of your car. You violated the parking laws of NYC for No Standing.
(3) Otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers. I am climbing to the top of Mount Everest and screaming at the top of my lungs, this is your get out of parking ticket jail free card. Use it wisely.
YOU ARE NOT GUILTY OF STANDING YOUR VEHICLE in a No Standing zone if you are actively engaged in discharging or receiving a passenger.
That’s too easy, so what’s the catch?
I’m glad you asked. The catch is presenting the proper proof properly to beat a parking ticket for standing in a No Standing zone. For example, you intend to drop-off your wife at the doctor’s office for her appointment and then run some errands. You pull to the curb, your wife gets out of the car and walks towards the doctor’s office. Read how to win…
You immediately activate your turn signal notifying everyone, except the parking ticket warrior standing nearby, you are in the process of re-entering the active roadway. Your motor is running and your foot is on the break ready to leap to the gas pedal to accelerate onto the active roadway. All of this happens in less than 2 minutes. ZAP…in a nanosecond, you are issued a parking ticket.
You can absolutely, positively beat this no standing ticket by presenting the proper proof properly, which is:
- Your Affidavit telling your story under oath
- You wife’s affidavit telling her story under oath
- A letter from the doctor, on her stationary, confirming your wife’s 2:00 p.m. appointment
You win because you are not STANDING while stopped temporarily to actively discharging a passenger. Your get out of jail free card trumps the warrior’s bad behavior in issuing you a parking ticket knowing full well you did not violate the No Standing parking law.
Here are 7 ways to avoid a No Standing ticket that you ought to know about before parking in NYC. Read the blog post…
One very important word of caution. To activate your get out of a parking ticket jail free card, you must STOP, DROP and GO. You cannot wait for your passenger’s safe return. In other words, you cannot walk your 110-year-old Aunt to the corner.
Why? As the Cheshire Cat said to Alice in the wonderful Lewis Carroll book, “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” when describing the inhabitants of Wonderland, “WE ARE ALL CRAZY HERE.”
If you’re not sure about the meaning of a rule, or how to apply it on a real-life roadway, please ask (but please, not a cop or a parking ticket warrior!)[Larry’s note: The 3 No’s is a phrase used by Louis Camporeale in his terrific book, “The New York City Parking Survival Guide.”]
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- NYC Parking Laws All Drivers Ought to Know About - February 20, 2018
- NYC Fire Hydrant Hiding in an Unconventional Location - February 12, 2018
- Parking Tickets Christmas Gifts from the Evil Empire in January 2018 - January 31, 2018