What if the motorcycle movie…
“The Wild One” starring Marlon Brando was filmed in NYC? There would be a motorcycle parking ticket feeding frenzy. Imagine Johnny emerging from the hang out with his gang to confront Chino, a rival biker gang leader; but instead of finding their motorcycles towed? Was there 311 back in those days?
Motorcycles are about freedom. NYC parking tickets are about curtailing freedom. Parking ticket warriors versus Johnny…who wins?
How to park a motorcycle in NYC
34 RCNY 4-08(m)(3) states:
Angle parking of motorcycles, motor scooters, and mopeds. A person shall be permitted to park a motorcycle, motor scooter or moped at an angle to the curb at times and at places when and where parking is permitted but only in such way that at least one wheel shall touch the curb. In no event shall any part of the motorcycle…be 6 feet from the curb.
All of our Johnny’s have some options when parking their motorcycles. For example:
- If you angle park your motorcycle in between two parked cars that are parked at meters, and the meters are activated, our Johnny’s do not have to feed the meter.
- The big but is if time runs out on one of the parked cars, or one of the cars leaves the parking space, our Johnny’s may get an NYC parking ticket
- If you parallel park your motorcycle, you must feed the toll on the poll
Can you park your motorcycle on the sidewalk?
NO. But, I equate this with the question I’m always asked about double parking on street cleaning days. It is the case of the sleeping crocodile. You may get away with parking your bike on the sidewalk fifty (50) days in a row, but you can still be issued a parking ticket on the fifty-first (51st) day. Let the parker beware.
Please share any advice, tips or helpful hints you have for all our Johnny’s to avoid NYC parking tickets
Here is one of the most memorable scenes from “Wild One.” Enjoy…
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- 5 Common Fire Hydrant Mistakes to Avoid at all Costs - October 17, 2017
- What Everybody Ought to Know about these Weird NYC Crosswalks - October 16, 2017
- NYC Parking Ticket Warrior Assaulted by Loathsome Creep - October 7, 2017