Muni- meters behaving badly in New York City
Once upon a time, a long time ago, when my daughter was four years old, I asked her to stand in the corner when she behaved badly- kind of a “time out.” One day I came home from work and found Julie standing in the corner. I asked her why she was standing in the corner? Julie replied:
“I was bad and you weren’t home, so I stood in the corner.”
Kudos to NYC Council Speaker Christine Quinn for standing the bad muni- meters in a metaphorical corner!
Quinn’s muni- meter solution
Quinn is planning to work with her colleagues in the NYC Council to formulate a Bill to re-program all of the muni- meters in NYC.
“People make mistakes. We shouldn’t be taking people’s money when they make a mistake and it’s a very simple fix, all we need to do is reprogram the Muni Meters,” Quinn said.
Quinn will propose:
- If a muni- meter cannot print a receipt, it will not be able to grab your money
- If you attempt to feed the MM on a day/time you aren’t required to pay for parking, the muni- meter will not be able to steal your money
Wow! If Quinn’s solution sees the light of day, it will be great for the NYC driving community. What will we do with our extra cash?
In recent times, there have been some wonderful Bills passed by the City Council addressing muni- meter etiquette. Here is a link to the NYC Council website if you’d like to read the details of some of the bills.
You may wish to read an article Larry (that’s me) published, “Do you know the Status of the Three Muni- Meter Bills”
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- 5 Common Fire Hydrant Mistakes to Avoid at all Costs - October 17, 2017
- What Everybody Ought to Know about these Weird NYC Crosswalks - October 16, 2017
- NYC Parking Ticket Warrior Assaulted by Loathsome Creep - October 7, 2017