The Giants football team has a ferocious defense you can count on to shut down the other team
The NYC driving public’s defense against a NYC parking ticket doesn’t perform quite as well. However, keep in mind that the Giants don’t have to defend against the NYC DOF, and its unrelenting battalion of parking ticket warriors.
Here are some defenses that may work, and are definitely worth a try.
When you are involved in an unexpected medical emergency affecting a human being, raise it as a defense when you dispute a a NYC parking ticket. Here are some tips:
- A regularly scheduled doctor’s appointment does not count
- The medical emergency must involve a human being, not your dog, cat, or canary
- You’ll need documentation, which may include a hospital emergency room record; a physicians report; or a statement from school personal that you were called to school because of a medical emergency effecting your child
- This includes a child’s caretaker
Location does not exist
If you are fortunate enough to be issued a parking ticket where the place of occurrence does not exist, you win. It is a misdescribed required element, which entitles you to a dismissal of your NYC parking ticket upon application. Make sure you present the proper proof properly. For example:
- A copy of a street map
- Verification from the US Post Office
- You may send a letter addressed to yourself to the location that does not exist.
- Be sure to include your return address
- The Post Office will return your letter marked, “location does not exist, return to sender.” Bingo!
- Keep in mind this defense will not work against a parking ticket for a “vehicle status” violation, such as improper registration, improper inspection sticker, missing or broken equipment, etc. because the location of your vehicle doesn’t matter with this type of violation
This defense is not as easy to prove as you may think. If your car breaks down on the highway, you are required to move it to the side of the road, ASAP. You are also required to get it out of there ASAP. If your car suddenly recovers without the need of a tow, or a mechanic to repair something, you will lose with this defense.
You need to have a receipt from a tow truck operator, and a mechanics note explaining what was wrong with your vehicle. As the quality of your proof decreases, so does you chance of beating the NYC parking ticket.
These defenses may come in handy some day. It is not enough to recognize the defense, you must submit the proper proof, properly. Claiming your car was disabled without submitting a note from a tow truck operator, and a mechanic will lead to defeat at the hands of the offensive NYC DOF and parking ticket warriors.
Has any one of these defenses ever come in handy for you? Please share other defenses you have used successfully? It helps all of us.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- The Truth About Parking Ticket Refunds and Adjournments - April 16, 2018
- Are You Making These 3 Common Mistakes Fighting a Parking Ticket? - April 2, 2018
- Eye-Popping Parking Ticket Stats and Facts for FY 2017 and FY 2018 - March 26, 2018