NYC parking ticket knowledge is power
And power means beating an unjust parking ticket and paying significantly less money to the revenue-raising Evil Empire. Here is some stuff the warriors don’t want you to know:
1. Am I required to obey regulations squished into parking meters?
C’mon man. I’ve just finished walking an entire city block to check for parking signs that regulate my space, and you want me to pay attention to a piece of paper stuck inside the dome of a parking meter? YES [See 4-08 (a)(6)]
2. In the game of parking ticket “rock-paper-scissors” do temporary signs beat permanently installed signs?
YES! You are required to obey paper or temporary signs, as long as the signs are posted by authorized law enforcement agencies. These signs supersede all existing posted rules for the days and time specified on the paper or temporary signs. [See 4-08 (a)(6)]
3. I paid my ticket, but I’m still getting notices from the Evil Empire that the parking ticket is unpaid.
Do not pay the same parking ticket twice. Take your evidence to any Business Center, or send a letter of explanation, along with your proof of payment to the address below. Submit copies, not originals, including the front and back of your canceled check, canceled money order stub, your payment receipt, disposition slip, hearing decision, or stamped printout. Send them to:
4. My car got an NYC ticket and was towed.
I beat the ticket. Will I get my tow charges back? How long do I have to wait to get my tow refund?
The spoils of parking wars include a tow refund
But, you are required to apply for a refund of your tow charges. These funds will not automatically be sent to you by the NYC DOF. Here’s a link to the Tow Refund form you must complete
5. I parked my car in a legal parking space and walked into work. When I returned to my car, I was greeted by a new parking sign and an evil orange epistle under my wiper. Do I have any recourse?
Parking ticket warriors don’t want you to know that you can beat and NYC parking ticket issued within 5 days of the installation of a new parking sign
You are required to prove the installation date of the new sign (make a FOiL request for the installation date)
When you know the rules, you are a worthy adversary of the parking ticket warriors. Remember…When you’re right-FIGHT; and please never, ever pay an NYC parking ticket “No questions asked.”
We all make mistakes, but are you making these 5-common mistakes in Parking Ticket Land?
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Should NYC Car Sharing Cars Share On-Street Parking Spaces? - July 30, 2018
- A Common, Costly NYC Parking Ticket Mistake to Avoid - July 16, 2018
- Should NYC Employees be Permitted to Violate Parking Rules? - July 9, 2018