Learning takes relentless repetition to beat NYC bus stop parking tickets
I made a New Year’s resolution and need your help accomplishing my goal. I am totally committed to teaching every, single, solitary, member of the NYC driving public how to interpret the bus stop parking violation; and offer strategies to avoid or beat NYC bus stop parking tickets. We are a community, a team, and a parking ticket for standing in a bus stop zone is beaucoup de bucks. So, let’s begin
Important words to remember
- A bus stop parking ticket is a NO STANDING violation. This means you can stop, drop-off or pick-up a passenger, and go. So why is a bus stop parking ticket so difficult to fight and win? Because…
- There are two (2) words in the parking rule that are poison to the driving public, and they are:
- “Temporarily,” and;
- You can “stand temporarily” in a bus stop zone. “Lasting for only a limited period; not permanent. “a temporary job”
synonyms: nonpermanent, short-term, interim; More
- You must “expeditiously” “With efficiency or in an efficient manner” drop-off or pick-up a passenger
- Since a bus stop violation is a NO STANDING violation, you cannot unload your property to the curb (A client of ours received a parking ticket for exiting a car in a bus stop zone holding her business briefcase, which the warrior considered to be unloading property to the curb…absurd).
You’ve got a very, very, short time to stop, drop or pick-up a passenger in a bus stop zone, and go. And, you must carry out this process in an efficient manner. In reality, a parking ticket warrior sees a car stopped for ten (10) seconds in a bus stop zone, while unloading a passenger. A perfectly legal activity. The warrior issues an NYC parking ticket, which in essence says, the warrior swears he/she observed you standing in a bus stop zone for more than two minutes, or discharging your passenger in an inefficient manner. How are you going to rebut this “sworn testimony?”
The secret is you can’t. I represented a father who picked up his daughter at the train station from school every day. The father and daughter stayed in touch by cell phone. The father parked his car two blocks from the train station; and when his daughter was walking down the staircase from the train platform, she called her father on her cell phone. Her father drove the two blocks and picked his daughter up at the curb. The entire process, from Dad’s arrival at the curb with his daughter standing by the curb, through the daughter entering the car took less than one minute. The problem was the father stopped to pick-up his daughter in a bus stop zone.
We submitted affidavits and photographs. We lost at the original hearing and lost the appeal. My point is to try your absolute best to avoid standing in a bus stop zone. You can beat the parking ticket if you can persuade a judge the warrior lied about the length of your stop…I’ve won, but it is not an easy trick
Last bus stop secret
As we all know from reading Larry’s Blog…A bus stop zone begins at the bus stop sign and extends in the direction of the arrow(s) until the next parking sign; or if no parking sign, the end of the block. Please, promise me you will not call and say that you parked far enough away from the sign for a bus to fit. Please, don’t say other people parked in the bus stop zone, and didn’t get a ticket. Find the bus stop sign, identify the arrow(s) and the direction(s) the arrow points; and find the next parking sign in the direction of the arrow. Or if no parking sign, the end of the block.
Promise? Please help me carry out my New Year’s Resolution. Have you ever defeated the evil bus stop parking ticket? Please share how. Let’s share some ideas and see if we can build the perfect defense. I’m counting on you.[Larry’s note: The Full Monty: “No person shall stand or park a vehicle other than an authorized bus in its assigned bus stop when any such stop has been officially designated and appropriately posted except that the operator of a vehicle may temporarily stand therein for the purpose of expeditiously receiving and discharging passengers provided such standing does not interfere with any bus about to enter or leave such zone.”]
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- The Redesigned Truck Loading Only Sign Can Ambush your Car - April 22, 2019
- Alex Baldwin was Guilty of NYC Parking Space Rage - April 8, 2019
- ALERT: Bus Lane Cameras Pilot Program Cruising for Violators - March 27, 2019