Frustration mounts over broken NYC muni-meters
Joe was running late for an important business meeting. Thank goodness he found a vacant parking space in less than the normal 20 minutes circling the block. Joe parked his chariot and dashed off to the nearby muni-meter. When Joe arrived at toll machine, he was horrified to find a broken NYC muni-meters.
What should Joe do next?
The Broken NYC Muni-Meters Rule
(3) Parking at broken or missing meters.
(i) A person shall be allowed to park at a missing or broken meter up to the maximum amount
of time otherwise lawfully permitted at such meter.
(ii) Where parking spaces in a parking field or on a block are controlled by “Muni-Meters,” and
a “Muni- Meter” is broken or missing, the person seeking to purchase a parking receipt shall use a functional “Muni- Meter” in the same parking field or on the same block, to purchase a parking receipt and shall display it pursuant to paragraph 10 of this subdivision.
If all muni-meters in a parking field or on a block are missing or broken, a person shall be allowed to park in such parking field or on such block up to the maximum amount of time otherwise lawfully permitted by such muni-meters in such controlled parking field or block.
For purposes of this section, “muni-meter” shall mean an electronic parking meter that dispenses timed receipts that must be displayed in a conspicuous place on a vehicle’s dashboard.
[alert type=”info” icon-size=”hide-icon”]Have you been ambushed by this muni-meter?[/alert]
Muni- Meter laws you ought to know about
Here is a short, but informative, slide presentation about the MM laws.
I interpret “parking field” to mean both sides of the city block (and hopefully a short city block).
If you stumble upon a broken muni-meter:
- Make sure the screen displays “Machine out-of-order”
- If not, move along little doggie
- If so, call 311
- Take photographs of the machine including the screen displaying “Machine out-of-order,” and the identification number on the MM
- Search for a working MM machine in the same “parking field”
- If you find another broken machine, repeat the same process set forth above, and search for a working MM machine
- If the search for a working MM machine proves to be futile, find another parking space
Please remove all sharp objects from your chariot before you look for a working muni-meter.
Do you wanna know some muni-meter secrets? Press very gently on this link and you’ll find out.