An NYC tow is every driver’s nightmare
How did you feel upon returning to your parking space and finding it empty because of an NYC tow? It was an out-of-body experience that we never want to repeat. But, just in case your chariot gets towed (again), here’s a guide to the whys, wherefores, costs, and steps to take to redeem your vehicle.
There are three types of tows in NYC
- The parking ticket and tow
- The police tow
- The judgment tow
All NYC is a tow away zone, no notice or prior warning required. This evil edict was enacted in 1956 by our friends in the NY State Legislature and still holds true today. [Here’s a link to a case interpreting this evil edict, Cohen v. The City of New York, 69 Misc.2d 189 (1972)]. It means your chariot can be taken by Captain Hook at any time without any warning.
- Your car may be towed at the whim or caprice of a cop or warrior if you are issued an NYC parking ticket. [Technically, it should be towed only if it presents a safety hazard]
- You are subject to a “police tow” by the N.Y.P.D., If you get a parking ticket and have $101 in unpaid parking tickets in judgment
- If you are forced to park your car in NYC or silly enough to think it will go unnoticed and have $350 in judgment, you are subject to a tow by an NYC marshal or sheriff. This tow is called a judgment tow
Here’s an Infographic about towing and booting in NYC
5 resources you need to know when your chariot is towed or immobilized by Das Boot
- A list of the blog posts you’ll find on Larry’s Parking Ticket Blog about towing in NYC. You can also find these seven blog posts by searching “Find related Posts” located in the sidebar of the blog. Enter the word, “Tow” and viola!
- You may wish to check out the NYC Department of Finance web page about “Vehicle Booting.”
- The NYC Department of Finance web page about “How to Redeem a Towed Vehicle.”
- How to Get a Satisfaction of Judgment, Registration Clearance or Vehicle Release Document
- How to locate your car when it’s been towed
New York State will not register or renew a vehicle registration if you have 3 or more outstanding tickets and/or camera violations in judgment within an 18-month period. If you have 5 or more outstanding parking tickets in judgment within a 12-month period, your registration will be suspended. You cannot obtain or renew a registration until you resolve the tickets, either by paying them or by having them dismissed at a hearing. If you pay your tickets at a Business Center you will receive:
A refund of your tow charges[Tweet “Your tow charges will be refunded if you beat the parking ticket connected with your tow”]
For example, you’ll get a refund of your tow charges, when you beat a parking ticket for a fire hydrant violation and your car was towed. Here’s a link to the tow refund application you need to file with the Evil Empire for a refund.
Or, if you are issued two or more parking tickets while occupying the same parking space, you’ll get a refund of your tow charges, if you beat your last in time parking ticket (the parking ticket that immediately preceded the tow).
Please do your homework before rushing down to the impound yard to redeem your NYC tow, or worse yet, send a friend without a notarized letter and the original title or registration documents to successfully redeem your chariot.[Tweet “A friend may redeem a vehicle with a notarized letter & the original title/registration”]
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- 5-Question Parking Ticket, Open Website, Quickie Quiz - March 19, 2018
- Do Not Fight Sidewalk Parking Tickets Until you Read This - March 13, 2018
- Parking Rules You Ought to Know That Will Save You Dough - March 5, 2018