Why spend your hard-earned dough on an NYC parking ticket for a fire hydrant and bus stop violations?
Preventive medicine is the best cure for fire hydrant and bus stop parking violations. Read this post every 4 hours for the next two weeks, and call me in the morning if you still get a parking ticket
Fire hydrant violation
The general rule is that you are prohibited from parking your chariot within 15 feet of a fire hydrant. However, the exceptions are of paramount importance:
- A passenger vehicle is the only type of vehicle permitted to park within 15 feet of a fire hydrant between sunrise and sunset, as long as a licensed driver sitting behind the wheel of your vehicle, ready to move upon request
- The fire hydrant rule covers broken fire hydrants, as well as fire hydrants in good working order
- There are no yellow curb markings, or any other street markings to warn that you are within 15 feet of the fire hydrant
- You will receive an NYC parking ticket for a fire hydrant violation, even if the fire hydrant is invisible.
- You are NOT eligible for a fine reduction, in exchange for a guilty plea
- Generally, you’ll find two concrete posts on both sides of a fire hydrant
Bus stop violation
A picture is worth 1000 words. Here are a few words:
A bus stop extends from the BUS STOP SIGN in the direction(s) of the little arrow under the little bus on the BUS STOP SIGN, until:
- The next parking sign in the direction of the arrow; or the end of the block
- If the arrow points in both directions, then the bus stop zone extends in BOTH directions until the next parking sign; or the end of the block
Please see the above screen capture. The bus stop zone extends in BOTH directions from the bus stop sign, until:
- The next parking sign to the left of the bus stop circular; and
- In the other direction, to the right, until the end of the block
There are no yellow curb markings to designate the length of a bus stop zone. As a matter of fact, there is positively no street, sidewalk or curb markings to give the driving public notice of the length of a bus stop zone!
Do’s and Don’ts
- Please do not estimate the length of an NYC bus (it’s 40-45 feet long, about), and argue that you parked far enough away from the bus stop sign for an NYC bus to fit. No one will listen!
- Do not argue that you only stopped for a minute to run into a store to……You cannot stop temporarily to drop yourself off!
- You can stop temporarily to drop off expeditiously or pick up a passenger. You cannot wait for “a few minutes” for your passenger to arrive.