Last Updated on November 30, 2022 by Lawrence Berezin
Why spend your hard-earned dough on a fire hydrant and bus stop violations?
Preventive medicine is the best cure for fire hydrant and bus stop parking violations. That is to say, read this post every 4 hours for the next two weeks, and call me in the morning if you still get a parking ticket.
Fire hydrant violation
Bus stop violation
A picture is worth 1000 words. Here is a picture and a few words:
A bus stop extends from the BUS STOP SIGN in the direction(s) of the little arrow under the little bus on the BUS STOP SIGN, until:
- The next parking sign in the direction of the arrow; or the end of the block
- If the arrow points in both directions, then the bus stop zone extends in BOTH directions until the next parking sign; or the end of the block
Please see the above screen capture. The bus stop zone extends in BOTH directions from the bus stop sign, until:
- The next parking sign to the left of the bus stop in the yellow circle; and
- In the other direction, to the right, until the end of the block
There are no yellow curb markings to designate the length of a bus stop zone. There are positively no street, sidewalk, or curb markings to give the driving public notice of the size of a bus stop zone!
Do’s and Don’ts
- Please do not estimate the length of an NYC bus (it’s 40-45 feet long, about), and argue that you parked far enough away from the bus stop sign for an NYC bus to fit. No one will listen!
- Do not argue that you only stopped for a minute to run into a store to. buy a lottery ticket. Ca-ching!
- You can stop temporarily to drop off expeditiously or pick up a passenger. But, don’t wait for “a few minutes” for your passenger to arrive. Ca-ching, ca-ching.
Like all parking rules, learning the bus stop rule and defense takes relentless repetition.
If you have 50 seconds, you will help bake the bus stop rule and defense into your brain.
Miles to go before we learn all the ticky NYC parking rules and regulations. However, here are 10 tips you should memorize to consistently park safely and avoid those costly parking tickets.
Remember, in Parking Ticket Land, the driver that knows the rules wins.
Click now and save!