I got a phone call last night from a lovely lady from Queens. She related her story about parking her car in a space regulated by a mechanical parking meter. She finished reading the last few pages of her book before activating the meter. Can you guess the ending (not of her book)? Our lovely lady from Queens got an NYC parking ticket.
- #1: The first sure fired way to get an NYC parking ticket is to stay seated in your car without activating a parking meter!
I recently reviewed a parking ticket for a valued friend of New York Parking Ticket LLC. He entered a bus lane, TWO city blocks before his intended right-hand turn. Joe executed his turn flawlessly, without incident. However, 10 days later guess what Joe received in the mail? Yup. An orange invitation to the NYC DOF fundraising ball.
- #2: The second sure fired way to get a parking ticket is by not making the next available right turn after entering a bus lane
Once upon a time, not such a long time ago, I parked my chariot in a space regulated by a muni-meter. I placed my receipt on the dashboard, slammed the door shut, and went about my business. Guess what I found tucked neatly under my wiper when I returned to my car? An orange epistle from a parking ticket warrior reminding me that I must place the receipt face up! Ca-ching.
- #3: The third sure fired way to get a ticket is to place your muni-meter receipt face-down on the dashboard
Here’s Sam’s story…”I parked my car on a Wednesday and checked the parking sign in front of my vehicle. It was an ASP sign prohibiting parking on Tuesdays and Fridays with the arrow pointing to my car. I assumed it was o.k. to park in the space. Negatory. Parking ticket city. Why?
- #4: The fourth sure fired way to get NYC parking tickets is to only check the parking sign IN FRONT OF your car.
Remember, the parking ticket world doesn’t end at your rear bumper. Please be sure to check the parking sign behind your vehicle! If it says, no standing M-F 7A-4P, with an arrow pointing to your space…Don’t park in that space.
This is the sad bus stop tale I often hear from the wonderful members of our NYC driving community. “I got a parking ticket for parking in a bus stop, and I parked far enough away for a bus to enter!”
- #5: The fifth sure fired way to get an NYC parking ticket is to park in a bus stop zone without knowing where a bus stop ends
A bus stop zone starts at the bus stop sign and extends in the direction of the arrow(s) until the next parking sign; of if no parking sign, the end of the block
I receive many calls and emails about how to navigate a bus stop lane, asking me:
- When can I enter a bus lane?
- Can I drop-off or pick-up a passenger in a bus stop lane”
- Can I make a delivery in a bus stop lane?
- Is “Big Brother” watching me when I travel in a bus stop lane?
You may wish to check out this excellent, Free, Bus Lane Brochure for some money-saving answers. Simply click, but be gentle (no email address necessary).
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Bus Stop Parking Ticket Challenge - February 18, 2019
- Client Success: I Beat a Taxi Stand Parking Ticket NYC - January 28, 2019
- What Happens if I Park in Front of an Illegal Driveway in NYC? - December 24, 2018