Imagine the wonderful parking ticket prose if the Bard lived in NYC
Parking ticket knowledge comes from the relentless repetition of the rules and laws. I receive many calls from terrific members of the NYC driving public who still insist, “if you sit behind the wheel of your car when it is halted alongside the curb in a no parking zone, you are standing NOT parking.” Bah, humbug. Or, think it is o.k. to double park and run into Starbucks for their morning cup of coffee.
Stopping, standing, and parking involve the same action. Halting your vehicle.
There are two views about double parking. One view is passenger vehicles can’t while the other view is passenger vehicles can’t double park. However, both views share the same opinion that you can never, ever leave your car unattended while you double park. There must always be a driver sitting behind the wheel.
Remind me, what IS the difference?
The difference is the activity you are permitted to perform in a no standing zone, and no parking zone. In a no standing zone, you can stop temporarily to drop off or pick up a passenger. But, you can’t wait for your 101-year-old Aunt Tillie to cross the street, safely. Sorry.
In a no parking zone, you can drop off or pick up passengers and property. But, again, only to the curb.
NO WAITING in either zone. Stop, drop, and skedaddle.
While I’m in a debunking myths mood, here are some other myths that need debunking:
- Coffee will sober you up
- Sucking on a penny will trick a Breathalyzer
- If you shave, your facial hair will grow back thicker
- The world is flat
- When a manufacturer says “Fat-Free” on the label, you will lose weight by consuming the food
- A painted yellow curb designates the length of a bus stop
- There must be a sign warning the driving public of a tow-away zone before your vehicle can be towed
- You can halt your vehicle in a no standing zone to answer your cell phone
- You can only be issued one parking ticket for the same violation in the same space during the course of one day
- You’ll never be issued another NYC parking ticket
Are you a believer, yet? Any myths you’d like to debunk? Don’t just sit there, debunk![Larry’s note: cool image of William Shakespeare is courtesy of Zuma]
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Are You Making These 5-Mistakes Fighting NYC Parking Tickets? - October 14, 2019
- The Redesigned Truck Loading Only Sign Can Ambush your Car - April 22, 2019
- Alex Baldwin was Guilty of NYC Parking Space Rage - April 8, 2019