Residential permit parking
The NYC Council passed a resolution yesterday requesting the NY State Legislature to pass a bill granting NYC the authority to enact a comprehensive residential permit parking system (“RPP”). Whew…What’s all this really mean? Here’s the translation.
In order for the City of New York to create a residential permit parking system, Albany must pass a law authorizing NYC to create an RPP. The enactment of this type of state legislation requires the concurrence of the NYC Council, in accordance with the provisions of Section 2 of Article 9 of the Constitution of the State of NY (NYC is the local legislative body-“Home Rule”).
Ergo, the NYC City Council passed the necessary resolution yesterday allowing the NY State Legislature to pass the RPP law (Bills introduced by State Senator Squadron, S.2325, and State Assembly Member Millman, A.4266, ” AN ACT to amend the vehicle and traffic law in relation to authorizing a residential parking permit system in the city of New York).
Clear as mud, right?!
The NY State Legislature votes and passes this piece of legislation. And then the creation of a system of RPP in NYC. See you in a couple of years, maybe.
The Bloomberg administration, the DOT, and one NYC council member opposed the resolution.
Here is a heads-up for 2018 parking ticket legislation. Simply click quietly.
There are two excellent articles that stand out on this subject that are worth your valuable time to peruse. They are:
- “City Council to vote on Plan to Issue Permits for Street Parking” By Jill Colvin, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer
- “Council Committee Endorses Residential Parking Permits Over DOT Objections” by Noah Kazis on November 2, 2011
Would you like to learn more about “Home Rule?”
Click on the Best Choice button below for a FREE Download of a Home Rule Guide (not to be confused with Home Run Guide)[A huge, big, show of appreciation to our great friend, Dominic, who provided a heads-up about this valuable news].
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Metes and Bounds Description of Place of Occurrence can be Beaten - January 15, 2018
- Client Success: I Beat a No Standing Parking Ticket - January 8, 2018
- Final Parking Ticket Quickie Quiz Challenge for 2017 - January 2, 2018