The Rubik’s Cube of double parking in NYC
“Rubik’s Cube is a 3-D combination puzzle invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and professor of architecture Ernő Rubik. Originally called the “Magic Cube”, the puzzle was licensed by Rubik to be sold by Ideal Toy Corp. in 1980 via German businessman Tibor Laczi and Seven Towns founder Tom Kremer and won the German Game of the Year special award for Best Puzzle that year. As of January 2009, 350 million cubes had been sold worldwide making it the world’s top-selling puzzle game. It is widely considered to be the world’s best-selling toy.” [via Wikipedia]
So, here’s the parking ticket puzzle to solve. Can you ever double park a vehicle in NYC? The answer is…That depends! It depends on the type of vehicle, the circumstances, and who is the deciderer. Boy Larry, talk about hedging your bets!
You can double park:
- A commercial vehicle while making a delivery or service call, provided that (1) there is no unoccupied curb space within 100 feet on either side of the street that can be used for standing, and (2) that the standing is in compliance instructions from police officers and flag persons.
- A passenger vehicle while stopping temporarily and actively engaged in dropping off or picking up a passenger
- Larry’s view
- The Department of Finance, Adjudication Unit’s view
You cannot double park:
- A commercial vehicle in Midtown daily between 7A-7P
- A passenger vehicle, ever (most people and agencies)
- On the unrestricted side of the street during street cleaning days/hours
- However, parking ticket warriors and police officers may “turn the other cheek” in many neighborhoods, and ignore double parking. The big but is that it is still illegal, and you will be issued a $115 double parking ticket when the gendarmes dance the quota polka.
Resources to help you beat a double parking ticket in NYC
- “Got Tickets? Your Guide to Parking Ticket Hearings,” Department of Finance- Adjudication Unit, pages 10, 14
- “Double Parking in NYC ” Larry (that’s me). this is a FREE download (no email address requested) with information about the majority and minority view of double parking
- “The Recipe for Beating a Parking Ticket for Double Parking,” (Me, again). This is a blog post with some very helpful information
Can you solve the Rubik’s Cube for double parking in NYC? I was speaking with a wonderful member of the driving public about double parking on the unrestricted side of the street on street cleaning days.
Larry: I am sorry to report that it’s illegal
Sue: I know
Larry: So you knew it was illegal to double park, you still double parked, and got a $115 double parking ticket?
Larry: Will you ever do that again?
Sue: In a heartbeat… because it was the only double parking ticket I received in an entire year of double parking on the unrestricted side of the street. Otherwise, driving around looking for a parking space, or sitting in my car freezing during the winter is worth $115 per year. it is a cost of living in NYC.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- What Happens if I Park in Front of an Illegal Driveway in NYC? - December 24, 2018
- 7 NYC Parking Ticket Mistakes to Avoid and Save Money - December 10, 2018
- Should NYC Car Sharing Cars Share On-Street Parking Spaces? - July 30, 2018