A question that is frequently asked by New York Parking Ticket clients is, “Why did I get a NY parking ticket for parking my commercial vehicle in a commercial parking space? The answer is usually, “because your vehicle is not a commercial vehicle under the NY parking ticket laws.” To qualify as a commercial vehicle in Parking Ticket Land:
(A) it bears commercial plates; and
(B) it is permanently altered by having all seats and seat fittings, except the front seats, removed to ease the transportation of property, except that for vehicles designed with a passenger cab and a cargo area separated by a partition, the seating capacity within the cab shall not be considered in determining whether the vehicle is properly altered; and
(C) it displays the registrants’ name and address permanently affixed in characters at least three inches high on both sides of the vehicle, with such display being in a color contrasting with that of the vehicle and placed about midway vertically on doors or side panels.
A little confusing? Absolutely. Here’s a summary, which I hope helps. Your commercial vehicle must have:
- Commercial plates
- All front and rear seats and fittings permanently removed
- Except vehicles designed with a separate cab and cargo area
- Name and address of the registered owner
- In letters plainly marked on both sides of the vehicle
- At least 3 inches in height
- The letters must be in a color contrasting with that of the vehicle (For example, no black letters on a red vehicle)
- And placed about midway vertically on doors or side panels
If you outfitted your vehicle to comply with the NYC Traffic Rules for Commercial Vehicles, and you’re not sure if you succeeded; please feel free to send us a picture. We will be happy to share our opinion.
Have you received an NYC parking ticket under these circumstances? Did you fight your New York City parking ticket? How’d you make out? Please share your experiences. It will help all of us.
Please leave a comment
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- 7 NYC Parking Ticket Mistakes to Avoid and Save Money - December 10, 2018
- Should NYC Car Sharing Cars Share On-Street Parking Spaces? - July 30, 2018
- A Common, Costly NYC Parking Ticket Mistake to Avoid - July 16, 2018