How can I beat status violation parking tickets in NYC?
A status violation is issued for something wrong with your car, not where it’s parked. Status violations can be issued for -Equipment defects -Expired or improperly placed registration -Expired or improperly placed inspection sticker -License plates improperly displayed Here’s a link to the NYC Traffic Rules [check out 4-08(j)(8)].
Top 10 Tips
-A warrior must insert the correct expiration date of your registration on the parking ticket, or it will be dismissed upon application (For vehicles registered in NY)
– If you are an out-of-state vehicle, and the month and year of your registration expiration date are clearly displayed on the plate(s) or windshield, a warrior must insert the month and year of expiration, NOT N/S or N/A, or your parking ticket will be dismissed upon application
-If a vehicle is from out-of-state, you only need to display a rear plate
– If a warrior charges you with “improper” display of plate(s), inspection sticker, or registration sticker, he/she must explain why it was “improperly displayed” on the parking ticket, or it will be dismissed upon application – If you are a non-resident of NY and become a resident, the law allows your out-of-state inspection to be valid until it expires, or from one year of being registered in NY
– If you are a resident of NY and purchased your vehicle out-of-state, you will get a ten (10) day grace period (As long as you IMMEDIATELY attach your temporary sticker) to get the car inspected in NY
-If you are issued one (1) parking ticket for a “status violation,” all additional “status violation” parking tickets issued on the same day as the first “status violation” will be dismissed upon application
– Generally, the place of occurrence is a required element. However, since a “status violation” involves your vehicle and not the location where it parked, a misdescribed place of occurrence does NOT entitle you to a dismissal of your parking ticket…Sorry.
– You have twenty-four (24) hours from the issuance of a parking ticket for missing or damaged equipment to fix it. You are permitted to submit proof of the “fix” to the PVB, and your [PARKING] ticket [MAY BE DISMISSED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE JUDGE; IF THE OPERATOR IS NOT AT FAULT]
– If you are issued a status violation parking ticket, you are not granted a grace period to remedy the violation. For example, if you’park your chariot with an expired inspection sticker, you are eligible for a ticket. You are not permitted to inspect your car and raise the subsequent inspection as a defense…Sorry