Testimony was taken about the new street cleaning bill by the Transportation Committee
Is the second time a charm for the new street cleaning bill? The bill will enhance the quality of life for residents of NYC forced to relocate their cars on street cleaning days. The usual suspects appeared in opposition while forecasting doom and gloom should the new street cleaning bill be enacted into law.
The new street cleaning bill would “Allow vehicles to park on the restricted side of a street which is subject to alternate side parking rules without being ticketed if the owner is in the vehicle and able to move it or if the street has already been cleaned.”
Does the testimony surprise you?
You may recall that the loyal opposition to the various grace period bills warned about doom and gloom prior to passage. The world did not end when the City Council allowed:
- A five-minute grace period to move your car at the onset of street cleaning
- A five-minute grace period to move your car when a parking rule changes
- A five-minute grace period to walk to and from a muni meter to place your receipt on the dashboard of your chariot
- A parking ticket warrior to cancel a parking ticket upon a showing of a paid muni meter receipt secured by an out-of-breath driver issued within five-minutes of the time of violation (no lynchings, beat downs, or violent batteries reported)
Doom and gloom always argue against change, especially change that:
- Requires additional work for D & G
- Enhances the quality of life for people living in NYC who own cars
- Possibly reduce the revenue from street cleaning parking tickets
Isn’t it a bit hypocritical to informally allow drivers to double park on the unrestricted side of the street during street cleaning hours, and in many neighborhoods, allow drivers to sit in their cars waiting for the sweeper to pass?
C’mon, let’s make these great customs the law of the land.
Pass these new street cleaning bills.
[Tweet “Tweet this message if you favor the passage of the new street cleaning bill”]
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- The Redesigned Truck Loading Only Sign Can Ambush your Car - April 22, 2019
- Alex Baldwin was Guilty of NYC Parking Space Rage - April 8, 2019
- ALERT: Bus Lane Cameras Pilot Program Cruising for Violators - March 27, 2019