Defenses against NYC Parking Tickets
The Giants football team has a ferocious defense that will shut down the other team.
However, the NYC driving public’s defenses against NYC parking tickets don’t perform as well as the football Giant’s defense. But keep in mind that the Giants don’t have to defend against the Evil Empire, and its unrelenting battalion of parking ticket warriors.
Here are some defenses against NYC parking tickets that may work and are definitely worth a try.
If an unexpected medical emergency affecting a human being occurs, raise this defense against an NYC parking ticket. Here are some tips:
- A regularly scheduled doctor’s appointment does not count
- The medical emergency must involve a human being, not your dog, cat, or canary
- You’ll need documentation, which may include a hospital emergency room record; a physician’s report; or a statement from school personal they called you to school because of a medical emergency affecting your child
- This includes a child’s caretaker
Location does not exist
If the place of occurrence entered on your parking ticket doesn’t exist you win. It is a misdescribed required element, which entitles you to a dismissal of your NYC parking ticket upon application. Make sure you present the proper proof properly.
- A copy of a street map
- Verification from the US Post Office
- You may send a letter addressed to yourself to the location that does not exist.
- Be sure to include your return address
- The Post Office will return your letter marked, “location does not exist, return to sender.” Bingo!
- Keep in mind this defense will not work against a parking ticket for a “vehicle status” violation, such as improper registration, improper inspection sticker, missing or broken equipment, etc. because the location of your vehicle doesn’t matter with this type of violation
This defense is not as easy to prove as you may think. If your car breaks down on the highway, the rule requires you to move your car to the side of the road, ASAP. They also require you to get it out of there ASAP.
If your car suddenly recovers without the need of a tow, or a mechanic to repair something, you will lose with this defense.
You need to have a receipt from a tow truck operator, and a mechanic’s note explaining what was wrong with your vehicle. As the quality of your proof decreases, so does your chance of beating the NYC parking ticket.
These defenses may come in handy someday. But, it is not enough to recognize the defense, you must submit the proper proof, properly, that proves your defense. Claiming your car was disabled without submitting a note from a tow truck operator, and a mechanic will lead to defeat at the hands of the offensive NYC DOF and parking ticket warriors.