Last Updated on January 4, 2018 by Lawrence Berezin
Pete’s first meeting with the NYC vehicle registration rule
This is the first article in a two-part series about the NYC vehicle registration rule.
I received a telephone call from Pete, who recently transferred to NYC. Two days after his arrival in the city that never sleeps, Pete was extended a rude welcome at 4 a.m. by a parking ticket warrior who never sleeps, in the city that never sleeps.
When Pete returned to his car in the morning, he found an orange epistle under his windshield-wiper for a violation of 4-08(j)(1): Vehicles must be properly registered. He asked:
“I only arrived in NYC two days ago, and my vehicle still bears Indiana plates. Is there any way I can fight this parking ticket?”
When you’re right-FIGHT. I told Peter we can beat this parking ticket because 4-08(j)(1) only regulates vehicles BEARING NY PLATES. The next question is, how in the wacky world of NYC parking tickets can I find any of these parking rules? Where do they live?
Great questions. Here’s the best way to create order out of the chaos of NYC parking rules.
Larry’s secret step-by-step guidance system
- Check the front of your NYC parking ticket, and find the specific section of 4-08 a warrior claims you violated
- Look for this specific section in the Table of Contents of 4-08 (NYC Traffic Rules)
- Make sure the specific rule found in this section matches the parking crime
- Next, look up the specific section of 4-08, and carefully read the full rule. You’ll be amazed at what you’ll learn. For example, Peter would learn the violation he was charged with, 4-08(j)(1) only regulates vehicles bearing NY plates, so he wins!
- If Pete didn’t find the rule and read it, he’d never realize the rule does not regulate a vehicle lawfully bearing out-of-state plates
Why not take some of your valuable time, and familiarize yourself with the Table of Contents? You’ll be amazed at what you’ll find.
Section 4-08 is part of the full volume of NYC Traffic Rules. You may wish to take a gander at the language contained in the specific 4-08 rule you are charged with [see below]
Ready for part II? Click ever so gently right here
View more documents from Lawrence Berezin