The 2-hour boot and tow is unconscionable
This is the third part of a three-part series. Here are links to the first two-parts:
- Warning: Gotten a Boot and Tow Recently? Read This
- Warning: Gotten a Boot and Tow Recently? Read This (Part Two)
In Part three, we’re going to communicate with:
- Commissioner of Department of Transportation
- Commissioner of Department of Finance
- Police Commissioner
- Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez
- Councilman David Greenfield
Our objective is to alert these five stakeholders about the 2-hour boot and tow and ask that they take action in concert or independently to change this dastardly practice.
I am sending this letter to the Commissioner of Department of Transportation, the Commissioner of Department of Finance, and the Police Commissioner
- Parking ticket fine
- Boot fees
- Towing fees
I’ve had a conversations on Twitter with the Department of Finance and Department of Transportation. I inquired where the authority came from to impose two penalties for the same parking violation. The response from the Department of Finance was a suggestion that I follow up with the Department of Transportation. The response from the Department of Transportation was to refer me to the NYC Administration Code Title 34 (Traffic Rules), Article 4, section 4-08(a)(9). The referenced section provides in pertinent part:
- Who conceived the 2-hour time period between boot and tow?
- Why boot a vehicle and then tow it with double fines?
- What law is being implemented or facilitated by issuing this rule-combining a boot and tow for the same parking violation?
- Was the intent of the booting law and towing law to penalize a driver two times with two fines for the same violation?
- The need to tow vehicles that are jeopardizing public safety
- Vehicles with more than $350 in judgment debt for unpaid parking tickets can be booted or towed
- Vehicles with $101 in judgment debt for unpaid parking tickets and issuance of a parking violation can be booted or towed
- Allowing a driver 2-hours to remove the boot
- Failure to comply resulting in towing the vehicle from the same parking space for the same violation
Here’s a copy of a letter going to Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez and Councilman David Greenfield
It’s not enough to complain about injustice.
Let’s take action to right the wrong.