What is your favorite no parking rule myth?
I enjoy reading about myths, but I love debunking ’em more. Here are some famous myths:
- Don’t swim on a full stomach
- Put butter on a sunburn
- Poison ivy is contagious.
- Mr. Rogers was a navy seal during the Vietnam war
- JFK and the jelly donut speech
But, none of these myths cost you a bunch of bucks. But, the NYC parking rule myths do! So, without further adieu, a debunking we will go…
Myth: “Sitting in your car keeps the parking ticket warrior away in a no parking zone”
I hear this all the time…” I can’t believe the parking ticket warrior stuck a parking ticket under my windshield when I was sitting in my car behind the steering wheel.” Unfortunately, the definition of “parking” is:
“Parking” shall mean the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading property or passengers.
If you stop your chariot in a no parking zone and stay seated behind the wheel, you may as well start writing your check now.
Myth: “But, I kept the motor running while stopping in a no parking zone”
Even if you’re Steppenwolf, idling is not a defense to a no parking ticket. As a matter of fact, idling is a separate parking violation if you keep your motor running for more than 3 minutes.
Myth: “I was standing not parking”
Standing is stopping your vehicle and parking is standing your vehicle. In other words, standing and parking involve halting your vehicle, even for only a NY minute.
The difference between parking and standing is THE ACTIVITY YOU ARE PERMITTED TO PERFORM IN A NO STANDING ZONE AND NO PARKING ZONE.
- In a no standing zone, you are permitted to stop temporarily to expeditiously drop off-pick up people and skedaddle.
- In a no parking zone, you are permitted to stop temporarily to expeditiously drop off-pick up people and their personal property and skedaddle.
It is a really good idea to learn and re-learn the difference between standing and parking.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Are You Making These 5-Mistakes Fighting NYC Parking Tickets? - October 14, 2019
- The Redesigned Truck Loading Only Sign Can Ambush your Car - April 22, 2019
- Alex Baldwin was Guilty of NYC Parking Space Rage - April 8, 2019