What’s your worst parking ticket mistake?
“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these parking ticket warriors from the swift completion of their appointed rounds”
I’m sitting in my office, looking outside, and cogitating whether parking ticket warriors issue fewer parking tickets NY during inclement weather? Regardless of the weather, why give a warrior a silly reason to zap you and your chariot with an NYC parking ticket? For example, guess where the color orange will next appear if you park your car in a crosswalk? If your answer to this simple query is “resting peacefully under my windshield,” you are correct.
Here is a list of 10 bad parking ticket blunders, and how to fix ’em:
- Double park your car while your spouse “runs” into Macy’s to pick out a few gifts for the children
- Park in front of a pedestrian ramp at the corner of a 4-corner intersection with a marked crosswalk, and a traffic light regulating traffic
- Dispute a fire hydrant parking ticket by arguing your parking ticket should be dismissed because the warrior incorrectly asserted you parked 2 feet from the pump when you really parked 10 feet away
- Believe that your car can only be towed in NYC if there is a big, posted sign, warning you that your parking space lives in a “TOW AWAY” Zone.
- Park your chariot in a no parking zone, stay seated behind the wheel with the motor running and think you’re o.k. because you’re standing not parking
- Driving your car into an intersection before there is room on the other side of the crosswalk, getting caught blocking the box, and arguing that you entered the intersection early because a truck driver was honking her horn at you
- Park in an “unmarked crosswalk”
- Stop temporarily in front of your house, get out of your car, and drop walk your groceries to the front porch (in a no parking zone)
- Park your car 25 feet away from the bus stop sign because in your opinion there was plenty of room for the bus to enter and exit the bus stop zone
- Stop temporarily in a no standing zone, drop-off your Aunt Tillie, and wait for her to cross the street and enter her apartment building
What’s wrong with these 10 parking ticket mistakes?
I’m sure that anyone who has read “Larry’s Blog” knows why the preceding parking behavior will cost you a bunch of your do-re-mi. However, if you’ve lived under a rock next to the GEICO guy, here’s why:
- Try your best not to double park even though I think it’s legal to double park while stopping temporarily to drop-off or pick-up a passenger, and go (my opinion is the minority opinion) Why risk a parking ticket?
- It is NOT legal to park in front of a pedestrian ramp unless:
- It’s located mid-block
- No marked crosswalks
- No traffic control signs
- No traffic control signals
- It matters not what distance from the fire hydrant a Warrior entered on your parking ticket, you always have the burden to persuade a judge that you didn’t park within 15 feet of a fire hydrant. A warrior is required to enter a number, any number. If he doesn’t, you win upon application.
- Horn or no horn, you can’t enter an intersection when the light turns green unless there is sufficient space on the opposite side of the intersection for your vehicle to fit in your lane of travel
- It is just as illegal to park your car in an unmarked crosswalk as a marked crosswalk. I call this ambush one of the many “invisible enemies” silently waiting to nab our wonderful driving community
- You are required to stop, drop, and skedaddle in a no standing zone. You can’t stop, drop and exit your car; or stop and wait for a passenger to enter a building in a no parking zone
- You can’t stop, drop, and wait in a no standing zone. You know how much I love Aunt Tillie and worry about her health and safety but…you’re on your own Aunt Tillie
How ’bout you?
I showed you mine, now it’s your turn to share your one (1) worst parking ticket NY mistake. C’mon, it will be fun. Share…
Do you know the difference between a crosswalk line and a stop line? If not, you may wish to read this blog post
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- The Redesigned Truck Loading Only Sign Can Ambush your Car - April 22, 2019
- Alex Baldwin was Guilty of NYC Parking Space Rage - April 8, 2019
- ALERT: Bus Lane Cameras Pilot Program Cruising for Violators - March 27, 2019