The NYC parking ticket and tow story
Monique is a lucky lady. On Sunday night, she finds an empty on-street parking space that is good until alternate-side parking rules take effect on Tuesday morning. She is working at home on Monday, so she doesn’t have to move her car until Tuesday. Life is good.
Sue is a lucky lady, just like Monique. Same story. She finds an empty parking space on Sunday, that rewards her with a no need to race to the space card until Tuesday morning when alternate-side parking rules take effect. Sue puts her track shoes away for a day. A very happy lady.
Natalie posts a comment on our website and asks, incredulously, is it possible to walk out of my home, and find my car towed; when I am sure I parked legally?
Monique, Sue, and Natalie never met. Unfortunately, they have something in common.
All three women are victims of an NYC parking ticket and tow scam. Here’s how it works:
- The parking ticket victim parks her car in a legal on-street parking space
- An NYC parking ticket is issued to the vehicle; but,
- A different place of occurrence is entered on the front of the parking ticket
- The “different place of occurrence” is an illegal parking space
- Captain Hook swoops in, grabs the vehicle, and tows it to the pound
Are these three unrelated incidents?
Or, is there an organized effort to make some extra cash at the expense of the NYC driving public?
How do you prove you parked in a legal space, when there is a parking ticket and tow truck operator to testify that you weren’t?
When you are right–FIGHT!
I am asking any members of the NYC driving public, who have been victimized by this scam, to share their experiences. If enough people come forward, we can create a groundswell; and make a case with the people who have the power to fix it.
We need your help. Don’t sit back and let the other person do it for you. Lend a hand. It will benefit all of us.
Please step up to the plate if you were victimized by this scam. We need your help to end this bad behavior.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- 7 NYC Parking Ticket Mistakes to Avoid and Save Money - December 10, 2018
- Should NYC Car Sharing Cars Share On-Street Parking Spaces? - July 30, 2018
- A Common, Costly NYC Parking Ticket Mistake to Avoid - July 16, 2018