Are those really NYC parking rules?
NYC has more parking rules than my old study hall teacher. For example, 34 RCNY 4-08(m)(1) provides:
Wrong-way parking prohibited. Except where angle parking is authorized, every vehicle stopped, standing, or parked partly upon a roadway shall be so stopped, standing or parked parallel to the curb or edge of the roadway. On a one-way roadway such vehicle shall be facing in the direction of authorized traffic movement; on a two-way roadway such vehicle shall be facing in the direction of authorized traffic movement on that portion of the roadway on which the vehicle rests.”
Here are two (2) more examples
Unattended motor vehicles. No person driving or in charge of a motor vehicle shall permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, removing the key from the vehicle, and effectively setting the brake provided, however, the provision for removing the key from the vehicle shall not require the removal of keys hidden from sight about the vehicle for convenience or emergency”
Idling of vehicle engines prohibited. Except as provided for buses in paragraph (p)(2) hereof, no person shall cause or permit the engine of any vehicle, other than a legally authorized emergency motor vehicle, to idle for longer than three minutes while parking, standing or stopping unless the engine is being used to operative a loading, unloading or processing device.
I learned a few things today, how about you?
- Is it counterintuitive to park in the same direction on both sides of a one-way street? Feels funny to me.
- If you are issued a parking ticket for idling, make sure the warrior inserts “time first observed” otherwise how can the warrior establish you idled your engine for three (3) or more minutes
- Don ‘t forget to remove your keys from the car, or else you risk the cost of an NYC parking ticket. Do not hide your hidden car key in plain sight. No Miranda warnings necessary for a warrior to issue a parking ticket
- Why would you park “partly on the roadway?”
Now it’s your turn. Please share some obscure parking rules you’ve been zapped with by a parking ticket warrior with us? I’m sure there are more obscure rules than the three (3) I posted. Share….
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Should NYC Car Sharing Cars Share On-Street Parking Spaces? - July 30, 2018
- A Common, Costly NYC Parking Ticket Mistake to Avoid - July 16, 2018
- Should NYC Employees be Permitted to Violate Parking Rules? - July 9, 2018