Parking tickets sure trigger emotional responses.
Here are some real-time reactions from real people all over the United States *
- “First parking ticket, I literally lit it on fire” Connecticut
- “First a parking ticket and then my car gets backed into. F— this day” South Carolina
- “I got a $120 ticket for parking on campus frequently. No f—— s—. I’m a student hence my f—— parking pass. I hate this school” North Carolina
- “I am fighting City Hall. I just got a reminder to pay a parking ticket I never received. Maybe because I wasn’t parked you M————” California
Why do people react this way? It’s just a piece of paper. Pay the $2, and forget about it. Here are some thoughts:
- It’s a lot more than $2
- The size of the fine doesn’t fit the crime
- The parking ticket warrior’s mission is to issue as many parking tickets as humanly possible
- I wasn’t parking illegally and still received a parking ticket
- I was only 1 minute late
- There’s no consistency in the way parking tickets are issued
- The meter was broken
What can I do about this? What action should I take when I’m issued a parking ticket?
- Make sure the information on the face of the ticket is entered correctly. If the information is defective, in NYC, you win
- Find out if you have a defense to the parking ticket. In NYC, you win if you are issued a parking ticket for double parking; but you were stopped while discharging a passenger
- Do not ignore the ticket. Here’s a quote from a guy in Chicago:
“Remember when you could shove a parking ticket in your glove box and forget it? No longer, the City wants it’s money”
Great advice. In NYC, if you ignore a parking ticket for more than 100 days, a judgment will be entered against you. Your car can be impounded. Remember, even if you get rid of the car, the judgment is against YOU.
Have you had a similar reaction to receiving a parking ticket? Why? Do you have any thoughts about why people react so emotionally to a parking ticket? Let us know what you’re thinking.
Tell us what you think. PLEASE POST A COMMENT
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Bus Stop Parking Ticket Challenge - February 18, 2019
- Client Success: I Beat a Taxi Stand Parking Ticket NYC - January 28, 2019
- What Happens if I Park in Front of an Illegal Driveway in NYC? - December 24, 2018