I just moved to NY from DC and got a missing inspection sticker ticket?
I received an Email today from a really nice guy, Robert. He asked a great question about whether he is required to inspect his car immediately after registering it in the State of NY. Robert attached his freshly minted NY plates to his car, and in a NY minute, a parking ticket warrior placed an iconic orange epistle under his wiper. Welcome to NY, Robert; and have a nice day.issued a parking ticket for failing to display a valid inspection sticker.
A warrior issued a parking ticket for failing to display a valid inspection sticker.
Can Robert beat this missing inspection sticker ticket?
Larry’s response (That’s me)
It is our pleasure to help.
There are various rules that come into play and form the “perfect storm” to help you beat this parking ticket:
1. “If you become a resident of NYS and register your vehicle in NYS, your out-of-state inspection remains valid. The out-of-state certificate or inspection sticker issued in your name is valid until it expires, or for one year after the vehicle is registered in NYS, whichever comes first. When your out-of-state inspection expires, you must get the vehicle inspected in NYS.” NY DMV
Vehicles must display valid inspection sticker. No person shall stand or park a vehicle bearing NY plates unless it is properly inspected and properly displays a current inspection sticker or certificate, in accordance with Section 306(b) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law or unless it bears NY dealer of transporter plates pursuant to Section 415 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law. Section 306(b) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law
If I may be so bold to summarize…Your DC inspection sticker is valid!
I suggest you fight your parking ticket by Mail (Certified, return receipt requested to the address on the back of your parking ticket) or in-person. I do NOT recommend fighting your ticket by online. You must present the proper proof, properly to win. You may wish to give evidence of:
- The date you registered your car in NY
- Your valid DC inspection sticker attached to the windshield of your car (and close-up photographs showing the expiration date of the DC inspection sticker)
- A brief summary of the DMV Rule set forth above
We’re rooting for ya!
- When you’re right-FIGHT! When you’re not sure…ASK
- You have time to secure an inspection sticker after you move to NY and register your car in NY; as long as you have a valid inspection sticker on your windshield from your former state of residence
- You have until your current out-of-state inspection sticker expires or one year from the date of registering your car in NY…Whichever is sooner.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Should NYC Car Sharing Cars Share On-Street Parking Spaces? - July 30, 2018
- A Common, Costly NYC Parking Ticket Mistake to Avoid - July 16, 2018
- Should NYC Employees be Permitted to Violate Parking Rules? - July 9, 2018