How to avoid an NYC parking ticket for unaltered commercial vehicle
Joe parked his white pickup truck with an unladen weight of 6,500 pounds, bearing commercial plates, with the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle in 4-inch high, light gray lettering, displayed on the left side door of his truck. He found a parking space in a commercial loading/unloading zone, paid the muni-meter, and commenced his delivery.
On one of his return trips to his truck, Joe saw a bright, orange, NYC parking ticket peering out from under his windshield wiper. Joe was charged with parking an unaltered commercial vehicle on the streets of NYC.
Is this an unjust parking ticket? Can Joe beat this NYC parking ticket for parking an unaltered commercial vehicle?
Joe violated the NYC parking rule prohibiting the parking of unaltered commercial vehicles
I’m sure we were all rooting for Joe, but he violated two essential elements of the confusing unaltered commercial vehicle rule. The lettering must be:
- On both side doors or side panels
- Permanently affixed in a color contrasting with that of the vehicle
Joe came so close but still got a costly NYC parking ticket (unless he finds an omitted, misdescribed, or illegible required element).
The NYC parking rule
4-08 (k)(1): Parking of unaltered commercial vehicles prohibited.
No person shall stand or park a vehicle with commercial plates in any location unless it has been permanently altered with:
- All seats and rear seat fittings (except the front seats) removed, except
- vehicles designed with a passenger cab and a cargo area separated by a partition, the seating capacity within the cab shall not be considered in determining whether the vehicle is properly altered
- name and address of the owner appearing on the registration certificate
- plainly marked on both side doors or side panels
- lettering and numerals not less than three inches in height
A simple touch up will fix Joe’s problem.
Don’t be like Joe. Learn the rule for parking your commercial pick-up truck on the streets of New York City, and comply with each and every element.
Close only wins in horseshoes. In Parking Ticket Land, close will cost you and your incorrectly altered pick-up truck $115.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- Bus Stop Parking Ticket Challenge - February 18, 2019
- Client Success: I Beat a Taxi Stand Parking Ticket NYC - January 28, 2019
- What Happens if I Park in Front of an Illegal Driveway in NYC? - December 24, 2018