Last Updated on October 5, 2021 by Lawrence Berezin
How to avoid an NYC parking ticket for unaltered commercial vehicle
Joe parked his white pick-up truck with an unladen weight of 6,500 pounds, bearing commercial plates, with the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle in 4-inch high, light gray lettering, displayed on the left side door of his truck. He found a parking space in a commercial loading/unloading zone, paid the muni-meter, and commenced his delivery.
However, on one of his return trips to his truck, Joe saw a bright, orange, NYC parking ticket peering out from under his windshield wiper. In other words, Joe got parking for an unaltered commercial vehicle on the streets of NYC.
Is this an unjust parking ticket? If so, can Joe beat this NYC parking ticket for an unaltered commercial vehicle?
Joe violated the NYC parking rule prohibiting the parking of unaltered commercial vehicles
I’m sure we were all rooting for Joe, but he violated two essential elements of the confusing unaltered commercial vehicle rule. The lettering must be:
- On both side doors or side panels
- Permanently affixed in a color contrasting with that of the vehicle
Consequently, Joe came so close to appropriately altering his commercial vehicle, but still got a costly NYC parking ticket that he cannot beat (unless he finds an omitted, misdescribed, or illegible required element).
The NYC parking rule
4-08 (k)(1): Parking of unaltered commercial vehicles prohibited.
No person shall stand or park a vehicle with commercial plates in any location unless it has been permanently altered with:
- All seats and rear seat fittings (except the front seats) removed, except
- vehicles designed with a passenger cab and a cargo area separated by a partition, the seating capacity within the cab shall not be considered in determining whether the vehicle is properly altered
- name and address of the owner appearing on the registration certificate
- plainly marked on both side doors or side panels
- lettering and numerals not less than three inches in height
A simple touch-up will fix Joe’s problem.
Don’t be like Joe. Likewise, learn the rule for parking your commercial pick-up truck on the streets of New York City and comply with every element.
Close only wins in horseshoes. However, in Parking Ticket Land, close will cost you and your incorrectly altered pick-up truck $115.