“Less is more” in the wacky world of NYC parking tickets
There was a precipitous drop-off in the number of parking tickets issued by parking ticket warriors last year (710,000 fewer parking tickets). But the Evil Empire collected $7M more bucks from NYC parking ticket fines and penalties ($540M to $547M in 2011). Can anyone guess why?
“One explanation: Pricier tickets are being issued for more serious infractions. In 2010 the average parking-ticket payment was $76.09, a figure that climbed to $79.27 last year, the data showed.
“[There also] could be more prior-year collections with penalties or interest attached — collecting older debts,” said Department of Finance spokesman Owen Stone.
A Doctor can park for up to 3 hours adjacent to a hospital
…but can only park up to 1 hour while attending to a patient in the immediate vicinity.
- A duly licensed physician or dentist can park where parking is prohibited by signs, but not where stopping or standing is prohibited
- “MD,” “OP” or “DDS” must be displayed on NY registration plates
- Adjacent is defined by the pictures contained in 4-08 (m)(4)
- “Immediate vicinity” is not defined in the rule
Is it legal for a vehicle that is too long or too wide to park
…in a single space designated for “angle-parking” to slightly hand over the parking space?
- If a parking space doesn’t fit, a parking ticket judge won’t acquit
I could fill more blog posts with these type of tales from Parking Ticket Land, including:
-The anger and frustration of street cleaning days
-The confusion about whether it is legal for a passenger vehicle to double park
-Whether or not a driver can park within 15 feet of a broken hydrant
-The boot and two-hours later a tow horror
-The scam parking tickets that are given out for parking in front of a legal mid-block curb cut
-Parking Ticket Warriors who wait for a driver to get caught in the box instead of directing traffic
-And the revenue train keeps on going
We gotta fight every ticket when we’re right (even if it takes our valuable time to fight a parking ticket). Why make it easy for the Evil Empire to take our money?
Put the TV changer down and take action…Please.
How’s your knowledge of the crosswalks and stop lines rules? Wanna save some money, check out this blog post.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- The Redesigned Truck Loading Only Sign Can Ambush your Car - April 22, 2019
- Alex Baldwin was Guilty of NYC Parking Space Rage - April 8, 2019
- ALERT: Bus Lane Cameras Pilot Program Cruising for Violators - March 27, 2019