Last Updated on February 28, 2020 by Lawrence Berezin
Larry’s Note: Sadly, the parking fine reduction program for passenger vehicles ended in January 2012
The Parking Ticket Fine Reduction Program: By Mail
1. The parking ticket fine reduction program is available to people receiving parking violations against their private passenger cars
2. Automatic Reductions
3. Mark “not guilty” when you send in your ticket
4. You will receive a settlement offer reducing your fine in exchange for changing your plea to “guilty”
5. Change your plea, pay your fine and as long as there are no mistakes in the process, your case is over.
The Parking Fine Reduction Program: Online Reduction
1. Follow this link to the Department of Finance Website. DOF Website: Request for On-line hearing
2. Scroll to the bottom of the green page
3. Click on the “GO” after the request an on-line hearing by weblink
4. This will take you to a window that requests your parking ticket information
5. After you insert your parking ticket number or license plate number, a screen should appear which offers you a reduced parking ticket fine.
6. If you do not receive an offer to reduce your fine, cancel the on-line hearing and proceed by mail, as set forth above
7. Accept and pay by credit card
Here are some examples of the amount your fine will be reduced:
|Violation||Current Fine*||Reduced Fine||Current Fine||Reduced Fine**|
|Registration sticker/missing or expired||$65||$43||$65||$43|
|No parking, street cleaning||$65||$43||$45||$32|
|Overtime parking, time limit posted||$65||$43||$60||$40|
** All other areas
(The chart was published in the NY Times, providing great information to help you with your NYC parking ticket challenges)
Is this program right for you? Read the next 3 posts and you’ll have the necessary information to make a well-reasoned decision.
Sadly, the fine reduction program has been discontinued. Currently, our choice is to fight or pay.