Knowledge is Power
Here is a terrific feel good parking ticket story from a friend. It is a perfect example of the right way to fight a NYC parking ticket. Joe did his homework, identified his defense, and respectfully persuaded the judge he was right. Joe was kind enough to share his experience with all of us.
Many thanks to Google and this web site for revealing this scam. I appeared in person to contest this pedestrian ramp ticket.
Here is the DECISION AND ORDER that was issued-
The respondent has been charged with violating Traffic Rule 4-08(f)(7) by stopping, standing or parking a vehicle in a manner which obstructs a curb area which has been cut down, lowered or otherwise constructed or altered to provide access for persons with disabilities. Googlemaps show the ramp is in the middle of the block and there is no marked crosswalk or traffic sign or signal. Not Guilty.
The administrative law judge told me that he was aware of this problem as he has seen this come before him on several occasions. He did not require any evidence from me. The entire process took NO MORE than 15 minutes from the time I entered 66 John Street.
When you’re right-FIGHT!
Joe did and he won.
The takeaways here are:
- Do your homework
- Identify your defense(s)
- Be prepared to present the PROPER proofs, properly
- Google Maps with street view/New York Parking Ticket interactive maps (gives you street signs + street view) are terrific resources to help present your case
- Many of the judges do the right thing when presented with the proper proof, properly
What are your thoughts about the takeaways from Joe’s victory? Do you have a success story to share with us? We’d love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Lawrence Berezin (see all)
- 7 NYC Parking Ticket Mistakes to Avoid and Save Money - December 10, 2018
- Should NYC Car Sharing Cars Share On-Street Parking Spaces? - July 30, 2018
- A Common, Costly NYC Parking Ticket Mistake to Avoid - July 16, 2018