Last Updated on November 11, 2022 by Lawrence Berezin
It is a challenge to beat an NYC bus stop parking ticket
An NYC parking ticket for standing at an NYC bus stop is one of the most formidable parking tickets to beat.
“No person shall stand or park a vehicle other than an authorized bus in its assigned bus stop when any such stop has been officially designated and appropriately posted except that the operator of a vehicle may temporarily stand therein for the purpose of expeditiously receiving and discharging passengers provided such standing does not interfere with any bus about to enter or leave the such zone.”
What proof can you offer that will convince a parking ticket judge you:
- Stopped your chariot “temporarily?”
- Picked up or discharged a passenger “expeditiously?”
- Did NOT interfere with any bus about to enter or leave a bus stop zone?
That is to say, by issuing a parking ticket (and documenting all the required elements accurately), a warrior successfully establishes a prima facie case against you.
Therefore, It behooves you to present the proper proof properly that the cop or parking ticket warrior made a mistake of law or fact. You can accomplish this responsibility by offering the following:
- Witness statement
- A precise description of where you stopped your chariot to pick up or discharge your passenger
What if you do get a parking ticket for standing at an NYC bus stop?
Larry’s Top 10 Tips:
- Defense is not, “I parked far enough away from the bus stop sign,” “I parked at least 25 feet away from the bus stop sign,” or “Other cars were parked closer to the bus stop sign and didn’t get a parking ticket,” or “How am I supposed to know the length of a bus stop zone?”
- Check for omitted, misdescribed, or illegible required elements on the front of your parking ticket. If you find one or more, you win upon application and presenting the proper proof properly
- If you’re discharging a passenger, what line and what time was the bus supposed to arrive (be very specific)
- Can you film your arrival in the bus stop zone, your passenger entering or exiting the vehicle, and your car departing the bus stop zone on your cell phone camera?
- Tell a detailed story and present it in an affidavit or certification
- Prepare a detailed statement by your witness and present it in an affidavit or certification.
- Don’t forget to authenticate the film by certifying its truth, accuracy, date, time, place, and the identity of the camera person (must sign the certification)
- Remember, you cannot pick up a passenger carrying any property (like a suitcase or groceries). You can only pick up or discharge an empty-handed passenger
- Check the space on the front of your parking ticket for comments. If it’s empty use it to prove you did not interfere with a bus
Knowledge is power
Learn as much as possible about how to beat a bus stop violation. Here are some earlier blog posts:
Would you please try your absolute best to stay away from a bus stop zone? On the other hand, if you really must stop, drop or pick up, and go in a bus stop zone, be sure to do some heavy contemplating about how to prove your case.
I love storytelling with lots of facts. Likewise, your facts should persuade the judge to draw the conclusion you wish. Who was it that said, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” (No, not Roy Rodgers).
Remember, there is no easter bunny or a yellow painted curb to indicate the length of a bus stop zone.
[Larry’s note: Photograph of the car in the bus stop zone is via “Uncivil Servants.” This website posts photographs of the abuse of parking permits and disobeying parking signs. Worth a visit!…UPDATE_website ]
Tips are a great thing. In other words, how can tips be bad if they tell you something you didn’t know or remind you of something you did know about parking in NYC?
Here is some parking ticket gold. Use them wisely and save!