Last Updated on November 22, 2022 by Lawrence Berezin
Can I beat status violation parking tickets in NYC?
A status violation parking ticket is about your car. These tickets are for such things as: *
- Equipment defects, and likewise
- Expired or improperly placed registration stickers
- Or, expired or improperly placed inspection stickers
- And, license plates improperly displayed
Status Violation Parking Ticket Rules
- A warrior must insert the correct expiration date of your registration on the parking ticket, or it will be dismissed upon application (For vehicles registered in NY)
- Likewise, a warrior must insert the month, and year your registration expired when the month and year appear on the plate(s) or windshield.
- You must display the front and rear plate if the state of registration requires it.
- A warrior must explain why your plate(s), inspection, or registration stickers were improperly displayed
- Above all, NY law allows your out-of-state inspection to be valid until it expires, or one year from registering your vehicle in NY
- On the other hand, the great state of NY allows a resident who purchased a vehicle out-of-state a ten (10) day grace period
- As long as you IMMEDIATELY attach your temporary sticker to get the car inspected in NY
- All subsequent “status violation” parking tickets issued on the same day for the same violation as the first “status violation” will be dismissed. But, you gotta apply for dismissal.
- A “status violation” involves the condition of your vehicle and not the location of a parking space. Therefore, a misdescribed place of occurrence does NOT entitle you to a dismissal of your parking ticket. Sorry
- You have twenty-four (24) hours from the issuance of a parking ticket for missing or damaged equipment to fix it. You are permitted to give proof of the “fix” to the PVB, and your [PARKING] ticket [MAY BE DISMISSED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE JUDGE; IF THE OPERATOR IS NOT AT FAULT]. **
Meanwhile, do you know how many tickets warriors or cops can issue daily for status violations?
Do you know how to display the registration and inspection stickers on your car’s windshield? If not, this will help:
You must remove all previous or expired stickers before you put the new sticker on your windshield or your vehicle plate.
You must attach any windshield stickers to the lower left-hand corner of the inside of the windshield. When you see the windshield stickers from the driver seat, make sure that the registration sticker is located to the right side of the inspection sticker. Make sure that you put the sticker in a place that allows you to read the vehicle identification number (VIN) from the outside of the vehicle.
If your vehicle does not have a windshield, you must keep the windshield sticker in the vehicle.
[Source is NYDMV]
Have you ever defeated an NYC parking ticket for a status violation? If so, share your experience. We’d love to share your good fortune.
* Larry’s note: A heartfelt thank you to former NYC parking ticket Judge, Haskell Nussbaum for the valuable information in his book, “Beat that Parking Ticket,” (Gavel Press 2007), from which is my main resource for this article
**Larry’s note: We are fortunate to have an extremely knowledgeable person give us the benefit of his insights into the meaning and enforcement of the above “status violation” rules. I have highlighted his insights in chestnut rose.
Larry’s Top 10 Tips
Whether you’re a new parker or an experienced pro parker, these top 10 tips are for you. And they are FREE!
Simply, click, and share your first name and email address.